How soon after Mommy Makeover would the average person be ready for a vacation travel?

How soon after a Mommy Makeover would the average person be ready for vacation travel. Also are there restrictions as far as when you can do certain activities such as swimming in a public pool or snow skiing?

Vacationing After a Mommy Makeover

Most patients are good to #travel 4 weeks after a #MommyMakeover. You should ask your plastic surgeon for specific advice per your procedure. Additionally, I would suggest you wear #TED #hose and also make a point to move about on the aircraft when feasible to prevent DVT.

Best to Wait 6-8 Weeks

A mommy makeover is a great procedure that addresses the changes that arise as a result of pregnancy. It can include breast surgery and body contouring to correct the sagging skin and excess fat of the abdomen and hips and thighs. These are all combined in a single surgery and only one recovery which is great convenience in this crazy busy society. The only pit fall is hat recuperation from a bigger procedure is always a little longer than if each component were done separately. Typically for a mommy makeover you would be restricted from any strenuous activity for 4-6 weeks and out of the pool or ocean for at least 6 weeks (until all incisions are completely sealed up and all stitches are out.) When planning surgery around an important vacation I would recommend at least 6-8 weeks between surgery and departure date just to give a little buffer in case there was some little glitch in your healing. You would hate to have a healing problem keep you out of the pool or persistent pain make you unable to enjoy your favorite sports. Plan ahead and avoid any extra drama or disappointment!

How soon after Mommy Make Over with the average person be ready for vacation travel?

I would recommend that you have at least 6 weeks of recovery and make sure that you are fully recovered and able to enjoy your vacation without any restrictions. Typically a Mommy Makeover is a combination of some type of breast recontouring, abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) and and liposuction of the hips and thighs. Of these 3 components tummy tuck requires the longest recovery. You should plan on staying home for 2 weeks after a tummy tuck. After that you can begin to reengage many day to day activities. Athletic activities which create stress on the abdominal wall should be carefully reintroduced at 8 weeks progressing to 12 weeks. More aggressive exercises such as sit ups and abdominal crunches should wait for up to 12 weeks. Upper body restrictions will depend on the type of breast surgery performed. If a breast lift, without an augmentation, or a breast reduction is performed it is best not to raise your arms high above your head until healing is achieved. This normally takes up to 3 weeks. Unrestricted upper body activity can normally be resumed at 4 weeks. If an implant is used either for breast augmentation or in conjunction with a breast lift normal day-to-day upper body activities can normally be resumed in 2-4 days. It is best not to lift more than 10-15 pounds for 4 weeks after an implant is placed. Reintroduction of activity following liposuction is dependent on patient tolerance. There are usually no specific restrictions associated with liposuction. Good luck

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Travel after mommy makeover

If you have a significant procedure we would ask that you not travel for about a week . As far as swimming we ask our patients not to swim for about a month . You want no risk of infection in your breast implants . Follow your surgeon's advice. Best of luck .

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Make-Over and Travel

The term "mommy make-over" can be a variation of procedures based on the "mom's" specific areas of concern. This most commonly refers to breast and abdominal surgery. I advise my patients to not schedule anything for about 6-8 weeks following surgery. Best wishes!

Christine Sullivan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Vacation travel and activities after MM

Great question. Do ensure that you confirm your PS' recs.  The rate limiting procedure for both travel and sports such as swimming or skiing is the abdominoplasty because these activities require use of the same "core" muscles, which are repaired in a tummy tuck.  Additionally, most PS suggest the use of compression garments, (girdles) for at least 4-6 weeks post-op, which isn't really compatible with bikinis.  Increasing complexity of breast procedures, such as augmentation-lifts will require additional caution, in order to avoid widening scars.  I think most PS would recommend 6-8 weeks, assuming your post-op course is uncomplicated.  Good luck!

Lavinia K. Chong, MD

Travel after Mommy Makeover

Thanks for your question.  This will vary greatly on what you have done. If you have a standard abdominoplasty and breast augmentation, I would recommend you wait 6-8 weeks before snow skiing. If you are just going to be lounging and slow walking, 3-4 weeks is probably reasonable as long as you don't plan on lifting heavy objects or getting your heart rate too high.  Once all of your incisions are healed, your drains are out and the drain sites are healed, you can get into a pool.  This varies greatly from one patient to another so I would advise you to ask your plastic surgeon what you can specifically do at what time.  Best wishes. 

Post Mommy Makeover

I wouldn't plan a big active vacation for at least 2-3mths. Give yourself time to heal and get your energy/activity level back up. Be sure to mention this to your surgeon so he or she can give you their post-operative instruction regarding travel. Best wishes, Dean Vistnes. 

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Make-Over Recovery

A Mommy Make-Over most commonly involves breast and tummy surgery. Liposuction is often performed as well. The tummy tuck has the longest recovery and generally takes at least six weeks. You may need a longer recovery if your vacation involves strenuous activity. In addition there is the possibility that you may have delayed healing or other problems that prolong recovery. You might want to allow up to three months of recovery to minimize the risk of having the surgery interfere with important vacation plans. Discuss vacations plans with your surgeon so he/she can best advise you. 

David S. Motoki, MD
Draper Plastic Surgeon

Mommy makeover recovery

If possible I would recommend a 3 month time before extensive travel after a mommy makeover. You will be feeling fairly normal by that time and can gentle lift luggage that does not weigh much (but try to have someone do that for you).In my practice swimming in chlorinated pools ok at 3-6 weeks as in the past we have used chlorinated solutions to clean wounds and snow skiing ???? I would say 6 months. Ask your PS about your particular trip.

David Liland, MD