Is it safe to have Rhinoplasty and Dermabrasion on the nose at the same time?

I'm planning on getting Rhinoplasty, my skin is thick and oily and has several acne scars with large pores, is it safe to have Dermabrasion performed at the same time on the nose?, would that difficult the healing process?, I'm wondering if the cleaning and post operative care of Dermabrasion alone would put in risk the Rhinoplasty result, any advice?

Rhinoplasty and dermabrasion

I'm conservative so I would not do them at the same time.  Combining the procedures could damage the skin and result in healing problems.  Some surgeons would probably do them together, but I prefer to play it safe.  I would do the dermabrasion after a few months.

Rhinoplasty and Dermabrasion

Absolutely never do rhinoplasty and dermabrasion at the same time.  The nose is taped for a week typically with a metal splint.  It is best to perform dermabrasion at a separate setting.  In fact we rarely use dermabrasion any more unless it is for a few specific areas.  The lasers have replaced dermabrasion and are more accurate and promote more collagen stimulation.  Both the erbium laser and the carbon dioxide laser are great alternatives to dermabrasion.

Mark Mandell-Brown, MD
Cincinnati Facial Plastic Surgeon

Safety of combining Rhinoplasty with Dermabrasion

It is not safe to combine rhinoplasty and dermabrasion procedures at the same time. The biggest risk is skin loss with poor wound healing and scarring. I understand the temptation to combine procedures to limit downtime from two separate procedures but for the best result the two procedures should be staged, preferably dermabrasion first.

Kristina Tansavatdi, MD

I would not recommend this for a couple of reasons. First, your skin is being injured from both the deep aspect and the surface if you combine these procedures. Rhinoplasty and dermabrasion are safe performed as an isolated procedure but performing together raises your risk of having some nasal skin die off after the procedure. Second, rhinoplasty usually requires at least adhesive glue and tape, possibly a splint, to help mold the nose and reduce swelling following surgery. This would prevent the typical post-op care of a dermabrasion wound and significantly raise the risk of scarring. Dermabrasion is routinely performed in the office under local anesthesia. You can stage the procedures without the added risk of a combined procedure.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

If you are considering both a rhinoplasty and dermabrasion to improve the appearance of your nose, you should stage these surgeries. Performing both together increases your risk of skin loss. Thank you for sharing your question. Best wishes. 

Gregory Park, MD

Rhinoplasty and Nasal Skin Dermabrasion at the Same Time

I would not do both at the same time. In patients like yourself I recommend they have skin care by our aestheticians pre-operatively; the results of the surgery will be better and healing will be more rapid and improved.

Concurrent rhinoplasty and dermabrasion

Definitely a bad idea! Damaging both sides of the nasal skin at the same time runs the risk of skin loss, retractions, pigmentary changes, etc. I would have the rhinoplasty first and follow with dermabrasion 3-6 months later.

Stephen J. Pincus, MD

I would have the rhinoplasty first and do the dermabrasion after you are healed from the rhinoplasty.  You do not want to have skin loss after a rhinoplasty.

Rhinoplasty & Dermabrasion concurrently?

Hello Ale7. A rhinoplasty requires undermining the skin of the nose, and altering the blood supply which heals over time. Dermabrasion can further compromise healing of the skin. Bad idea to perform both concurrently. I would separate the procedures by a few months. Good luck. Best, Dr H 

Sanaz Harirchian, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and dermabrasion of the nose

It is definitely a bad idea. By elevating the nasal skin you are injuring that skin underneath the surface, then additional injury to the surface is looking for severe complications. Also, I would consider other treatments than dermabrasion that have similar results and much less downtime such as lasering or radiofrequency ablation atleast 6 months to a year after the rhinoplasty. Make sure you see an experienced plastic surgeon in your area to give you the best advice.

Paul E. Chasan, MD
Del Mar Plastic Surgeon