Is it safe healthy to have your pet (cat) around you while healing after surgery (Tummy tuck) my fur babies lay on my bed.

I have two black cats. They are my 10 year old fur babies. Unlike my other four kids these guys still sleep with me.. Should I be concerned after my tummy tuck in 9 days? I've heard animals, especially cats can be dangerous for healing? Is this true, or myth? They are clean. I will not clean their litter boxes after surgery. I also change the sheets regularly. I only let them on the comforter, I do not let them on the sheets.

Healing after surgery with cats

Many of my patients love their pets as family and as a result sleep with their pets nightly.  Studies show that the comfort and relaxation of your pets can aide in the healing post surgery. 

If you are not allergic, there's not really an issue sleeping with your fur babies in the bed.  It's fine as long as they don't disturb your sleep and leave you room to be comfortable in your sleep space. 

Take extra care watching your incisions, and follow your surgeons recommendations for post op care. 

Best Wishes,

Dr. Cambre

Your fur babies should not disrupt your healing and may even help.

Unless you’re superstitious, which I take it you aren’t, your two black cats shouldn’t have any negative impact on your tummy tuck healing process. In fact, since healing is meant to be a time of relaxation, their company may even help minimize any stress or discomfort you feel during this time. Be sure not to strain yourself reaching to pet the little critters, and keep your incisions safe from harm’s way. Otherwise, your pets should be just fine keeping you company.

Alexander G. Nein, MD, MS, FACS