Is it safe healthy to have your pet (cat) around you while healing after surgery (Tummy tuck) my fur babies lay on my bed.

I have two black cats. They are my 10 year old fur babies. Unlike my other four kids these guys still sleep with me.. Should I be concerned after my tummy tuck in 9 days? I've heard animals, especially cats can be dangerous for healing? Is this true, or myth? They are clean. I will not clean their litter boxes after surgery. I also change the sheets regularly. I only let them on the comforter, I do not let them on the sheets.

Healing after surgery with cats

Many of my patients love their pets as family and as a result sleep with their pets nightly.  Studies show that the comfort and relaxation of your pets can aide in the healing post surgery. 

If you are not allergic, there's not really an issue sleeping with your fur babies in the bed.  It's fine as long as they don't disturb your sleep and leave you room to be comfortable in your sleep space. 

Take extra care watching your incisions, and follow your surgeons recommendations for post op care. 

Best Wishes,

Dr. Cambre