Can you still have a tummy tuck done if you have Fibroids?

I spoke to my GYN dr and he said that it would be fine. I would like to hear from people that perform These surgeries. He said mine is about 12 wks big.

Fibroids and TT

I have done a number of tummy tucks along with a gynecologist who removed the fibroids (via a TAH) at the same time as my Tummy tuck. It was done in my hospital and the patient got basically two surgeries for the price of one. Insurance paid for the hospital stay and the TAH and the patient paid for the tummy tuck.

Not Usually A Problem

A typical full abdominoplasty is performed after moderate weight loss. It can be a powerful procedure that can flatten and remove excess skin from both above and below the belly button and tighten the abdominal muscles. The trade off is a scar low in the bikini line that extends hip to hip and a scar around the belly button.

The presence of fibroids does not impact the surgery. If surgical removal is contemplated, however, it would be better to have that done first with the tummy tuck to follow at 3-6 months.

See the link below for more info and pricing for tummy tucks and related surgeries.

A detailed examination will help delineate the best surgical option. Consultation with a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery would be the next best step.

Tummy Tuck and Fibroids

Based on your information, you can undergo tummy tuck surgery. Fibroid removal and Tummy Tuck is totally different procedure. However, both procedures can be safetly done at the same time - a Gyn surgeon will perform fibroids removal, whereas a plastic surgeon will perform a tummy tuck. 

Fibroids and Tummy Tuck

Thank you for your question.  While every case is different, generally speaking, fibroids are not usually a preclusion to a patient undergoing a tummy tuck.  With that said, if a patients fibroids require removal, we do recommend that the fibroid removal happen before the tummy tuck is performed.  Please consult with your gynecologist and a board-certified plastic surgeon to discuss your specific case and the options available to you.  I hope this helps and best of luck!

Tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for your question.   A tummy tuck can safely be performed in the setting of fibroids.  If the fibroids are large and require removal by your GYN surgeon, then have that performed first and three months later you could undergo a tummy tuck.  If you are an appropriate candidate, a tummy tuck can be done through a low and short incision, all completely below the bikini line.  Your muscles can also be plicated resulting in a flat abdomen.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Tummy tuck and fibroids

Sometimes the fibroids are removed first if they are large. Best to review with your gynecologist and plastic surgeon.

Tummy tuck and fibroids

There's usually no problem with performing a tummy tuck in a patient with fibroids.  However, if the fibroids are quite large or potentially may need to be removed for medical reasons, then it's worthwhile to have them removed first as a separate procedure.  In order to get a qualified, expert opinion on your surgical options and expectations, always have an in-person consultation with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Keith M. Blechman, MD
New York, NY

Combination surgery

Yes, indeed, there are published papers on the safety of combined GYN procedures and tummy-tuck procedures-  would make sure that your surgeons are ABMS board certified... best of luck

Tummytuck after Fibroid Removal

It is quite normal to have tummytuck AFTER fibroid removal. It is better to allow your gynecologist to perform the fibroid removal first, then 4-6 months later you may be a candidate for Tummytuck surgery.  Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Fibroids and TT

The two are separate issues. If you have fibroids that will require surgery, I would encourage you to address this first as medically indicated before undergoing a tummy tuck.