7 years post unsuccessful otoplasty. What are my options? (Photo)

Otoplasty done at age 14 (7 years ago) by a very reputable San Diego surgeon. Left ear looked ok but was extremely painful for about a year, and remained mildly painful for the following 2 or 3 years. My right ear was never painful but there was a scab on the exterior of the ear with bumpy ridgey cartilage underneath. Currently, my left ear has slowly returned to nearly its original position and my right ear has many ridges and bumps in the cartilage.

Otoplasty Revision

Thank you for your question regarding options for improving your ear symmetry and appearance.  The left ear which has come back forward can be improved with replacing the internal ear sutures, and possibly softening the cartilage so that the ear does not come forward again.     For the right ear, a more complex reconstruction may be in order.  You would really need to be examined in person to see if the bumpiness is cartilage deformation or sutures which may be deforming the cartilage through their placement.  Sometimes, the bumps are actually sutures which are trying to work their way out through the skin.   It will be critical to get some opinions from very qualified otoplasty surgeons in your area to see your options.   Wishing you the best.....Dr. B

7 years post unsuccessful otoplasty. What are my options?

Thank you for describing your history in detail. The revision of your left ear should be fairly straight-forward. The absent fold can be recreated with permanent sutures. There is a very good chance of a great result. With regard to the right ear, this is much more challenging as your concerns involve both the cartilage framework of the ear and scarring of the skin. I think improvement is possible but in order to advise you on how much to expect you will need to consult with an otoplasty surgeon in person. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon