What's the best option to correct dimples and cellulite? Cellfina or Fat Transfer? (photos)

Hi I've had traditional liposuction on my front and back of my legs/thighs. I've gained weight and I'm considering the best option to repair the dents and ripples in my legs. I want to get Smart lipo but I'm not sure if that will help by itself. The cellulite is noticeable. I've read a lot about fat transfer helping to smooth the appearance. I've also read that the new FDA procedure called Cellfina is suppose to help with cellulite as well. Please advise and Thanks in advance.

Cellfina for Cellulite...

Thank you for your question.  You appear to have a disease of the fatty tissue for which Cellfina will not be effective.  Is this cellulite condition appearing painful for you, if so it is almost assuredly lipedema?  Cellfina works on dimple cellulite and it is a very effective treatment for that cause of cellulite but will have no effect on lipedematous fat.  In your case, I suggest you seek an experienced Dermatologist who may start you with conservative medical treatment including compression, lymphatic drainage, and diet change.  If you are going to go the surgical route seek out someone who has experience using water jet assisted liposuction (BodyJet).  Regards, Dr. Matt Elias

Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon

Cellfina works best to release dimples caused by structural connective tissue.

Cellfina successfully releases dimples of cellulite, however it does not treat skin laxity or uneven skin contours from variable fat thickness below the skin. It is impossible to tell you what is the best option for you without an in-depth consultation with a board certified Plastic Surgeon. Good Luck!

Laurie A. Casas, MD, FACS

Cellfina for anterior thigh dimples

Cellfina will not work for your condition.  Some refer to this as lipedema.  This is much more complicated condition that will probably require a combination of liposuction, skin reduction and addressing laxity once the surgery is complete.  Go to some one who offers the full spectrum of fat contouring procedures.  

Steven Swengel, MD
Los Gatos Dermatologic Surgeon

Lipedema Treatment and Liposuction

You have lipedema and need liposuction, likley some skin removal as well.  Cellfina will not be helpful for you on the front of the leg, and fat transfer wouldnt be a good option either.  Please see an expert, VASER liposuction with VASER smooth would likely help.  Microfat injections after liposuction and/or skin removal/lift may help.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Reducing Cellulite

It is important to understand that Cellfina is used to treat deep-rooted cellulite. There are often misconceptions on this treatment and what ailments it can address. Cellfina is the only FDA-approved treatment to improve the appearance of cellulite on the buttocks and thighs. If the trouble areas are a result of loose skin, Cellfina will not alleviate this problem. Cellfina will treat the structural causes of cellulite and the results are proven two years. I recommend consulting with your board-certified plastic surgeon to determine the option best suited for you.

Jay Burns, MD

Treatment of cellulite , waviness, and loose skin on legs and thighs

Treatment of cellulite , waviness, and loose skin on legs and thighsUnfortunately , you have a difficult situation that will require numerous procedures.  I would start with traditional liposuction..  I f you have lipedema  you will need compression and manual massage or lymphatic massage as well.  Cellfina is best used  on moderate to severe cellulite of the buttock and thighs, Cellfina works by treating the rubber-band-like connective tissue that causes cellulite. When these “rubber bands” under the skin are cut, the fat trapped underneath in dimples “snaps” back into place, creating a full, smooth appearance.

Cellfina treatment

Your cellulite problem is a common one. Fortunately, finally there are effective ways to minimize this problem. Perhaps the least invasive one is  Cellfina™. Cellfina is the only FDA-cleared minimally invasive, one-time procedure clinically proven to improve the appearance of cellulite for at least two years—the longest FDA-cleared duration for a cellulite treatment. A straightforward solution to cellulite, Cellfina™, combines a proven approach with innovative, proprietary technology, to produce precise, long-lasting results and has a high satisfaction rating on RealSelf. Together with Velashape 3, a non invasive procedure to help "shrink wrap the skin" and further minimize cellulite as a combination treatment is perhaps your best chance for taking care of this tough problem. Cellulaze is also a possible treatment but much more invasive

Cellfina / Cellulite Reduction/ Liposuction/ Skin Tightening / BBL/ High Definition Procedures

Cellfina is an FDA approved minimally invasive procedure that reduces the appearance of cellulite for at least two years on the buttocks and back of the thighs of women.  It works by releasing the internal bands that cause the cellulite dimpling and so we have not seen any fat atrophy. You should not see much of a difference with weight gain or loss but this also has not been studied.  Other areas of the body with dimpling, it is important to make sure it is truly cellulite before treatment.

It is common to have swelling bruising and firmness after the procedure. This can last for a few weeks.
Cellfina has shown 100% noticeable improvement and 96% satisfaction in all patients at 2 years.
Cellfina is designed to be a one time procedure. It can be used on women with all skin types but caution should be taken if theres a history of keloiding.  It can also be combined with other treatments such as Thermi or Ulthera if skin tightening is needed.

We have done Sculpsure and Coolsculpting if fat reduction is wanted, but its best to wait 3 months to see the results before proceeding.

It can also be done at the same time as other procedures such as liposuction and BBL or as a stand alone procedure in the office.

Since Cellfina outcomes can be based on technique and experience, please see a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes body contouring to see if Cellfina or other treatments are available to meet your goals.

Take care,

Dr. Schwartz
Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute

Thank you for your post. Yes, I would recommend Cellfina as a treatment option for your thighs. You will likely see a nice improvement. It will not eliminate the dimpling completely, but can help. It really seems to be a breakthrough in treatment for a problem we really haven't been able to correct until now. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Cellfina is good to treat round indented cellulite but not linear long grooves

Cellfina's device breaks up the collagen attachments that hold down dimples but it is not designed to be used on the longer grooves that many women have on their thighs and buttocks. I have found ThermiTight to help improve the appearance of the linear grooves.  The benefits, convalescence and risks related to all procedures considered appropriate for the individual patient are discussed in the consultation. 

The information provided in Dr. Shelton's answer is for educational purposes only and is not intended to constitute medical advice. The information provided should not be relied upon as a substitute for consultations with a qualified health professional who may be familiar with your individual medical needs.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon