Can lip injections cover my gummy smile? (photo)

I have a gummy smile it's not too bad, but still enough to where I don't like to smile or laugh much because I don't want people to notice. I have already been considering lip injections because I feel my lips are too small, but I was just wondering if I do go through with it, will it finally make me comfortable enough to smile as huge as I want?

Botox Gummy Smile - Seek an Expert

Botox can be used to improve a gummy smile with small amounts that will not effect your ability to smile. Fillers such as Juvederm or Restylane can be used to augment the sides of the lips to help conceal the gumline, it appears that you have a lot of volume towards the center of your upper lip. I suggest seeking a board certified dermatologist. Best, Dr. Emer.

Hoe to correct gummy smile

It is possible using Botox and/or soft tissue fillers to achieve correction that you desire. More permanent correction will require orthognatic jaw surgery or braces. You should consult an experienced plastic surgeon or oral surgeon to discuss your options. Good luck.

Zoran Potparic, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Can lip injections cover my gummy smile?

Thank you for your question and photograph.  There are minimally invasive techniques to improve your gummy smile appearance and this can be done either through Botox or dermal filler placement.  As you were already considering a lip augmentation for thin lips this is a reasonable method to improve both conditions.  Hope this helps.

Gummy smile

Thank you for the photo. Usually a gummy smile is due to vertical excess of your maxilla or midface. If this were the case, a permanent fix would be to have maxillofacial surgery by a craniofacial surgeon in which your bone is repositioned to improve the proportions of your face. Using lip injections can help mask the gummy appearance, however this needs to balanced with an appropriately shaped and sized upper lip. You may also end up wanting lower lip injections at the same time for better harmony between the upper and lower lip. Botox injections can also be considered to slightly lower the upper lip so that it does not lift as high when smiling. Hope this helps!

Johnson C. Lee MD
Plastic Surgery

Johnson C. Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Physician