When getting lip filler, does the top lip usually swell more than the bottom lip? (photos)

I got lip filler in my lips 2 days ago. She massaged my top lip much more than my bottom. My top lip is bigger than what I wanted as far as proportion. I hoping this is just swelling because she said the top lip swells more than the bottom. Is this true? I am really unhappy with how unnatural my top lip looks and I really want to dissolve some now. I like my bottom lip bigger than my top and told her that.

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs, and I am sorry that your current appearance has caused you some concern.  Swelling after filler placement into the lips is quite common due to the thin nature of the tissues.  This swelling, and your results, will steadily improve over the next 10-14 days.  It often takes up to 2 weeks for fillers to soften and the tissues to appear more natural.  In the meantime try reducing the swelling by using cold compresses to your lips and elevating your head at night with a couple of extra pillows behind your back.  You may want to also consider using Arnica Montana and bromelain as supplements.  Hang in there!

Swelling and uneven lips

When your lips are injected it is the aesthetic to always have the lower lip slightly bigger than the top lip.  Right now your top lip is very swollen and unnatural.  This may be just swelling and I would wait a week to see the full results.  If it is still this swollen you will need to have it dissolved with Vitrase.  Best, Dr. Green

When getting lip filler, does the top lip usually swell more than the bottom lip?

Hi, I have performed many lip augmentation procedures using dermal fillers or lip implants for over 30 years. Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, the upper lip should be approximately 75 % the size of the lower lip for the lips to appear balanced. The lips can be augmented using a dermal filler or a Permalip implant.

Dermal filers and lip implants offer far more reliable volume to augment the lips than permanent fillers or fat injections that are also associated with increased, unwanted, side effects.

Any "needle based" therapy which includes things like dermal fillers or Botox can lead to minor, temporary swelling and bruising. If they occur, these should all resolve in a matter or hours or a couple of days.  If the lip is still larger after that, it could just be a function of the amount of dermal filer injected.  In that case you might want to consider having hyaluronidase injected, into the lip, to dissolve some of the filler.

Hope this helps.

Swelling Cessation after Lip Augmentation with Fillers

Swelling can be variable from patient to patient and can last up to 1-2 weeks. It's still too soon to tell what your results will be. If you're unhappy, you can have it reversed and try a different technique next time. Best, Dr. Emer

Upper lip more swollen than bottom

I don't like to massage excessively after injection. It usually means that the injector was trying to even out a spot they noticed didn't look right. You are right, the lower lip should be bigger than the upper, in a ratio of 1:1.61. I would wait the 2 weeks before deciding on what to do. I wouldn't do anything in the meantime.

Steven F. Weiner, MD