Will getting a kenalog or steroid shot help this bump after a chalazion excision? Or will 2nd excision be needed? (photo)

I had a Chalazion on my upper left eye lid for about 6 months. I had an excision done in June, the size of the bump as of today has only gone down very slightly. The excision was the full flip the eyelid inside out, cut it open and drain. A lot of fluid came out. The doctor said the scare tissue may take a few weeks to dissipate. Will getting a kenalog or steroid shot help this bump I still have? I really do not want to have to go through another excision. Please help thank you!

A shot of kenalog should be helpful at this point to get rid of the residual nodule.  I would avoid a second surgery. 

Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Massage and scar gels and creams are not appropriate.

It is likely that a kenalog injection would be very helpful here.  I fact, I seldom find kenalog needed because a single kenalog injection resolved the vast majority of chalazia without the need for surgery.  Unfortunately, surgeons sometimes are less inclined to treat these with kenalog because frankly they make more money performing surgery.  

Bump post excision

If this is scar tissue using an injection of kenalog may help soften it and go down.One could also massage with scar creams and gels.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Kenalog for chalazion

Kenalog sounds like a good option. There was a big study that evaluated the use of steroids and surgery for chalazia. The results are comparable. More interesting, according to the study, regardless of what procedure is done, you may need a second or third injection or surgery to have the stye completely resolve. Patience is important. Consider seeing an oculoplastic surgeon in your area.

Dan Landmann, MD
Ridgewood Oculoplastic Surgeon