What are pros and cons of smart lipo vs traditional liposuction?

After having 3 kids, my middle section is soft. I am now weight 12O lbs, the same weight as before kids. I want to know what are my options in getting firms ab with least invasive procedure.

SmartLipo Compared to Traditional Liposuction

I perform a great volume of liposuction, using various tools/instruments depending on the patient's needs.  I strongly feel that offering a variety of options is the best approach for realistic results.  Depending on skin laxity after 3 pregnancies, a laser such as SmartLipo may suffice if the laxity is mild.  In the other extreme, moderate to severe laxity may require a tummy tuck with or without liposuction.  

If the lack of "firmness" of your abdomen has more to do with loss of muscle tone after multiple pregnancies, then consistent core exercise is in order.

Seek advice from an experienced surgeon you trust in your area.  Good luck on your journey!

Atlanta Dermatologic Surgeon

Do not select by method of liposuction.  The best advice I can give for this is to pick the surgeon who produces consistently good results. Look at before and after pictures and reviews.

Is SmartLipo/laser or laser lipo better than traditional liposuction?

Interesting that you should ask, because I wrote a blog on this exact same question.

It is my opinion that the results of liposuction are much more dependent on the skill of the operator rather than the tools that he/she is using. Smart lipo and laser lipo are clever marketing tools. Laser sounds "cool" and smart sounds - well - "smart"!

Liposuction is only a tool. Just because you buy a saw does not make you into a master carpenter! If I lent my artist materials to you, could you create my paintings? There is a lot of training, judgement, and artistry that goes into planning a successful liposuction or other cosmetic procedure.

Your surgeon should be Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, and a Member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, and a Member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. These are the surgeons with the highest credentials, and is much more important than the kind of machine that is being used for liposuction.

John Silverton, MD
Stockton Plastic Surgeon

Smartlipo will tighten skin

Liposuction and Smartlipo will both remove unwanted fat deposits. Smartlipo will remove the fat and also tighten the skin. It is best to consult with your surgeon to find out which procedure is best for you. Good luck!

Bruce E. Katz, MD

With 3 pregnancies and weighing only 120# I truly doubt that liposuction would be of any value to you no matter the type. However,  to answer your question, it is the skill of the surgeon that is far more important than the type of equipment used. It sounds as if you might benefit from a tummy tuck, but in truth nothing we have to offer creates hard abs. That takes hours of exercise.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

What are the pros and cons of smart lipo vs traditional liposuction?

Smart lipo is a brand name of a laser machine that can be used in conjunction with traditional liposuction to help remove/ liquify fat, and to a small extent tone overlying skin.  This same process can be accomplished with ultrasound energy (Vaser liposuction).  Not all situations require an energy assisted liposuction, but if the fat or connective tissue is dense, Smart lipo or Vaser lipo can aid in the removal of fat.  However, from your description of having had 3 pregnancies and having loose tissues, you may be a better candidate for a tummy tuck.  Be certain to seek out a boar certified plastic surgeon who performs both liposuction and tummy tuck procedures.  Best wishes, Dr Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Firm abdomen after pregnancy

Getting a firm abdomen after pregnancy is often not solely associated with fat. Pregnancy can stretch the abdominal wall musculature and weaken the, even causing hernias and diastasis. A firm abdomen suggests good muscle resting tone. I suggest seeking a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon to determine what is causing your "soft" abdomen. The second part of your question has to do with "liposuction" techniques. Each surgeon will use the technique that he or she is comfortable with. Alternative energy-sourced machines using laser or ultrasound have certain advantages and certain disadvantages and does not protect against common side effects and complications, namely unevenness and over-suctioning, Often it is the patient selection that is more important, not the specific method of fat removal.

RobinT.W. Yuan, M.D.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

SmartLipo Versus Traditional

It is not the type of procedure being performed it is the person doing it that you want to investigate.  I have great results prior to using SmarLipo and continue to have great results after.  It all depends on the technique used and how aggressive an approach.  I suggest seeking someone very experienced in this procedure, who will look at your body type and give you a balanced and conservative treatment.  We would love to have you in the office anytime.  Best, Dr. Emer.