How Long After 300cc Submuscular Breast Implants Can I Go Running?

I had breast augmentation one week ago (300 cc, under the muscle). I run around 50 miles a week and want to know when I can start running again without risk to the implant?

Wait 3 weeks after sub-muscular breast augmentation to do long distance running

Thank you for your question. Of course you must follow the directions of the plastic surgeon who performed your surgery.

In my practice I encouraged patients to wait 3 weeks before very vigorous exercise such as long distance running. Long-distance running increase his blood flow and the recent surgical areas of the breast and experienced swelling and discomfort with rapid increase his in heart rate and blood flow for the first 2 weeks postop.

Running after breast augmentation

By one week after breast augmentation there is little harm you can do to your implants if you resume running. Like any sports injury you may have to back off at the point of soreness so a treadmill may be a good way to start so you aren't far out if you have to shorten a run. Double up the jog bra for support, and run with your hand higher and elbow fully bent to help relax your chest.

Exercise after breast augmentation

In general, I usualy let my patients go back to aerobic type acitivities by 3-4 weeks post-op and heavy lifting by 6-8 weeks.

Running after Breast Augmentation

Consult with your surgeon about the types of activities that are acceptable post-surgery. It is important that you not engage in strenuous activities in the first three (2-3) weeks after surgery. My own personal recommendations to my patients are start walking as much as you want to, as soon as you want to. Then progress as desired to high-reps, low-resistance exercises. Slowly progress for 6 weeks, after which time there are no restrictions. I advise my patients to refrain from strenuous physical activity such as heavy lifting with your arms or jogging for 6 weeks. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!! It is important that you follow your doctor's instructions so that you get the best aesthetic results.
#breastrevision #breastimplants

Running after breast augmentation

Thank you for your question. You definitely want to follow your own surgeon's post-op activity instructions. This is a general guide I give to my patients:
1) No heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 6 weeks.
2) Resume walking at a leisurely pace right after surgery (e.g. 2 mph)
3) At 2 weeks, you can walk 2 miles at 2mph
4) At 3 weeks, you can walk 3 miles at 3mph
5) At 4 weeks, you can walk 4 miles at 4mph
6) At 5 weeks, you can jog 5 miles at 5mph
7) At 6 weeks, you can resume all activities, but listen to your body and use discomfort or tightness as a guide so you don't over do it.

Typically- 6 weeks!

Recovery varies from patient to patient following breast augmentation surgery. We generally recommend that patients avoid strenuous activities including running for at least 6 weeks following surgery.
Running in the immediate post-operative period has the potential to cause the breasts to bottom out. The constant bouncing of the implants within a freshly formed breast pocket can cause the pocket to expand inferiorly. Capsule formation acts to stabilize the implant pocket, but may take weeks to occur. In some cases, 2 weeks may be adequate while longer periods may be necessary in other cases.
Physics suggest that larger implants would be more likely to stretch the pocket and skin while compressive support bras would minimize the phenomena.
If you’re considering an early return to running, it’s important that you discuss the issue with your plastic surgeon before proceeding. Your surgeon will have important information regarding your situation and when it’s safe to resume this activity.

How long to wait after breast augmentation before running

First of all, please check with your PS, as everyone's recommendation will vary slightly.  In my practice I recommend that runners wait 4 to 6 weeks after breast augmentation before resuming running.  Whether to wait four or six weeks will depend on how your are feeling and the size of the implants.  I also recommend that patients wear two sports bras when they resume running and "listen to their bodies."  If it still hurts, then give it a little more time and try a non-impact workout instead.  Good luck. 

Laurence Weider, MD

Running after Breast Augmentation

Each surgeon has his or her guidelines for postoperative care. Generally, you can begin light activity 5 to 7 days post surgery. More strenuous activity can begin as soon as 3 to 6 weeks depending on how you are healing. Consult with your surgeon and follow his or her instruction as he or she knows the scope of the surgery and the specifics about you.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Running risk?

Dear Tina,
Thank you for your post. I am very protective of my patients with augmentations who are runners. I recommend that they buy the athleta underwire sports bra with the front adjustable straps. My patients really like this bra for running and find that it holds them very stable. It is cupped instead of compressing the breasts together. Some patients use an additional regular sports bra on top of this for extra security. Some like it for everyday wear in the initial post-operative period. Using a regular sports bra that just compresses the breast together rather than cups that keep their shape can cause flattening of the breasts especially in the early post operative period and wearing a bra that doesn't have enough support, especially when running or any bouncing type activity, can cause bottoming out or stretching of the breasts. I would, however, wait 6 weeks for running type activities.
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

After Three weeks

Normally, I recommend patients start cardio and lower body training after three weeks, and that includes running. However, you should start off slowly and increase intensity.

Remember to wear a very good sports bra on your runs.