How Long After 300cc Submuscular Breast Implants Can I Go Running?

I had breast augmentation one week ago (300 cc, under the muscle). I run around 50 miles a week and want to know when I can start running again without risk to the implant?

Wait 3 weeks after sub-muscular breast augmentation to do long distance running

Thank you for your question. Of course you must follow the directions of the plastic surgeon who performed your surgery.

In my practice I encouraged patients to wait 3 weeks before very vigorous exercise such as long distance running. Long-distance running increase his blood flow and the recent surgical areas of the breast and experienced swelling and discomfort with rapid increase his in heart rate and blood flow for the first 2 weeks postop.

Running after breast augmentation

By one week after breast augmentation there is little harm you can do to your implants if you resume running. Like any sports injury you may have to back off at the point of soreness so a treadmill may be a good way to start so you aren't far out if you have to shorten a run. Double up the jog bra for support, and run with your hand higher and elbow fully bent to help relax your chest.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd.com

Exercise after breast augmentation

In general, I usualy let my patients go back to aerobic type acitivities by 3-4 weeks post-op and heavy lifting by 6-8 weeks.

Running after Breast Augmentation

Each surgeon has his or her guidelines for postoperative care. Generally, you can begin light activity 5 to 7 days post surgery. More strenuous activity can begin as soon as 3 to 6 weeks depending on how you are healing. Consult with your surgeon and follow his or her instruction as he or she knows the scope of the surgery and the specifics about you.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

After Three weeks

Normally, I recommend patients start cardio and lower body training after three weeks, and that includes running. However, you should start off slowly and increase intensity.

Remember to wear a very good sports bra on your runs.

Exercise after breast implants

It depends on the size of implants and extent of surgery, so best to ask your surgeon. For most patients, I would recommend avoiding running or any strenuous exercise for six weeks.

Anindya Lahiri, FRCS (Plast)
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Exercise after breast augmentation depends on each surgeon and patient

There is no risk to the implant if you jog, lift weights, or exercise too early but you are at an elevated risk of getting  a hematoma or seroma.  It is rare, but early on in your healing process an increase in blood pressure and motion may open a small vessel that was previously cauterized.  My post-operative instructions are nothing vigourous for 2 weeks, a week of transition where activity is increased gradually, then full activity afterwards.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Running after augmentation

I have my patients avoid running for 4 weeks after surgery. That may be somewhat conservative but you surely do not want to get a hematoma from resuming vigorous exercising too quickly. I am okay with a augmentaion patient walking on a treadmill at 2 weeks. Hope you make an uneventful recovery!

Ann F. Reilley, MD (retired)
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Running after breast implants

Your surgeon should give you very specific activity instructions, and I would recommend following those.  Typically, I ask patients to avoid cardio for 2 weeks when the risk of bleeding is the highest, then start excericising slowly (no running) from 2-6 weeks.  This means walking, stair-climbing, biking, etc.   Full activity is allowed at 6 weeks.  Running or jogging or any other exercise that causes a lot of up and down movement can have an effect on the implants and the surrounding healing tissue.   It's not the implant that is at risk - it's where the implant sits in your breast pocket, and how the tissue stretches and heals.

Running After Breast Augmentation?

Thank you for the question.  Congratulations  on your recent surgery.
You may want to “run” the question by your plastic surgeon but I generally suggest waiting 4 to 6 weeks  after breast augmentation before attempting strenuous exercise such as running.