Can I Run 2 Weeks After Rhinoplasty?

I had rhinoplasty exactly 2 weeks ago. Two days ago I started running on the treadmill, but only ran for 20 minutes instead of my usual 60 minutes of running. I had no pain or discomfort while running, so yesterday I increased it to 30 minutes, again with no discomfort. I have pressure in my nose today, but it doesn't seem to be significantly more swollen. Is this a cause of the running from the day before or just sinuses and other factors? Can I resume my running or will it harm my results?

Light exercise can begin two weeks after nasal surgery

Rest assured that you have not done any damage to your nose.  Yes, it is more sensitive and activity may increase your discomfort but unless you physically hit the nose, activity will not cause it to shift or move.  Thanks for the great question, this is one that many patients have.

Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

dont run epecially on a treadmill. You could fall off! I allow my patients only brisk walking on a solid surface until  1 month.

Jack Peterson, MD
Topeka Plastic Surgeon

Post Rhinoplasty Exercise

Every surgeon has different post-op instructions for their rhinoplasty patients so it’s always best to check what your surgeon recommends for you specifically. Generally speaking, I recommend that my patients don’t begin exercise for at least 3 weeks after having a rhinoplasty procedure. Any activity that raises your blood pressure (like running or other exercise) can promote swelling. This swelling might be external which you would notice when looking in the mirror, but can also happen internally. It’s important to allow your body to expend any extra energy that it has on healing your nose during the first few weeks after surgery. I remind my patients that when they do begin to resume exercising, to start out slow and to listen to their bodies. If something doesn’t feel right, it’s important to stop and slow down. Best of luck!

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Running After Recent Rhinoplasty

Given that your nose job was performed just two weeks ago, I would recommend that you refrain from doing moderate exercise for at least another 1-week. Though it is understandable that you are keen to resume your active lifestyle, your nose is still recovering from your recent surgery. Swelling and bruising can be influenced at this stage of the healing process, and overdoing activities too early after rhinoplasty can result in a longer recovery. 

Activites After Recent Rhinoplasty

Because your nose job was administered not too long ago, I would recommend you abstain from doing exercise for another week. Your nose is still in the process of recovering and swelling and bruising can occur. Please consult your surgeon on what activities you can or cannot do.

Miguel Delgado, MD

Going on a Run Post Rhinoplasty

I generally advise my patients to refrain from any exercise, strenuous or not, for at least the first 10 days after a nose job. After this time, going on a light to moderate walk can actually have positive effects on your recovery and can make swelling go down. Running, however, involves higher-impact training, and the pressure on your nose can slow down or even reverse the progress of your recovery. 

Sam Rizk, MD

Running aftre rhinoplasty

I would avoid exercise including running for at least three to four weeks following rhinoplasty.  It takes at least that amount of time for the blood vessels to heal well enough to be able to withstand the increased blood pressure during exercise.  You may have gotten away with it at two weeks post op, but I'd hold off on doing any more running for at least a couple of more weeks.  Be careful.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Exercise after rhinoplasty

I would not run if your rhinoplasty was only 2 weeks ago. While you really don't have any risk of bleeding, exercise can cause the nasal tissues to swell. I ask my patients to wait at least 3 weeks, but even longer is great.

Ryan Greene, MD, PhD
Fort Lauderdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Working out after surgery?

I tell my patients to try and avoid intense exercise for around 6 weeks.  That way the patient has healed for a number of weeks and is somewhat back to a normal routine.  The longer the patient waits to stay out of physical activities the health risks decrease.  If you really want to get back into your daily workout routine I recommend you start by slowly walking the track or around your neighborhood and gradually work yourself up after 2 weeks from surgery.  Try not to overwork yourself.  The best thing you can do for your body is to let it heal.

Sam Speron, MD

Exercise 2 Weeks after Rhinoplasty

I usually tell my patients they can begin strenuous activities 2 weeks after rhinoplasty as long as there is no risk of nasal trauma. Having said that, listen to your body and your surgeon. You've done no harm, but you're feeling pressure because nasal circulation is not normal. Decrease the intensity and duration of the workouts. Most important follow your surgeon's instructions.