Would cold shower help reducing the swelling after gynecomastia surgery?

I am thinking of taking real cold showers aiming at the chest to reduce the swelling. Could you please give me your opinion if this is a good thing to do?

Swelling After Gynecomastia Surgery

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. The compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. But if this causes concern, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Thank you for your question.  Because the post-op instructions vary from surgeon to surgeon, it would be best for you to address this with your operating surgeon.  I personally tell my patients that they must wear a compression garment for four weeks to manage the swelling.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Post Op Swelling

I recommend that you talk with your Plastic Surgeon about their recommendations for you post op. There will be medication and care which help relieve discomfort and assist with healing. Each Plastic Surgeon has their own preferred protocols.

All the best

Don't torture yourself and take comfortable showers

ice to the chest area can help somewhat with swelling especially in the first 48 hours, as can a chest vest which i like my patients to wear for about 2 weeks. 

remember the swelling will gradually go down over a few weeks so try not to obsess over it.

david berman md

David E. Berman, MD
Sterling Plastic Surgeon

Neither good nor bad

Swelling subsides with time only. Cold shower will neither help nor hurt.  Thus just take a comfortable shower and relax.

Vasdev Rai, MD

Cold helps in reducing swelling for the first couple of days only, after surgery. It is unlikely that any surgeon would advise you to take cold showers at this time. After this time when you are allowed to take showers, warm showers will be more helpful. 

All The Best !

Ajaya Kashyap, MD
India Plastic Surgeon