What can be done to treat generalized milia throughout the face? (photos)

I'm a 29 year dental hygienist and old mother of 2 boys. I never had a problem with acne or any blemishes as a teenager or young adult. However, after I had my first child I began to get milia and it has only gotten worse. One aesthetician tried a chemical peel unsuccessfully and said there were too many to extract individually. I'm too young to have such a "rough" textured face and I'm so self conscious now. What can be done? Anything? Please please help!!!

Doctor Answers 2


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your question ambercutshall. Milia can be treated with a good skin care regimen combined with various treatments such as extractions, microdermabrasion, chemical peels, and laser resurfacing.

Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Facial Aging -- Treatment With Lasers Like Fraxel, Radiofrequency Like Viva/Intensif, Combined with Microneedling/PRP

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Milia can be extracted, treated with lasers or needle desiccation.  I suggest you see an expert, you likely need extractions from a well qualified aesthetician frequently.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Jason Emer, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 203 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.