I expect some swelling, but never expected this. Walking is quite uncomfortable and sitting upright is non existent.

I had a full TT and lipo on June 2nd. 2 weeks later I developed shingles. I'm on gabapetin and oxycodone for the pain which helps a little. For the past couple of days, the mons area and vaginal lips are extremely swollen and very hard which is adding to my discomfort. The incision above the mons section is not healing as well as other.

Thank you for your question,As the other surgeons have explained, this is expected after TT and you are still in your early stage of post op you could continue to wear the compression garment for 3 more months and also do massage weekly and also consult your Surgeon for instructions to follow. 3 to 6 months for healing and results 6months  to 1 year. 

It sounds like your swelling is quite extensive and it’s moving downward with the effect of gravity. Are you following your surgeon’s care instructions on how to deal with swelling? Cutting back on sodium, wearing your compression garment and going to the washroom frequently can all help. It might also help to bend forward at the hips when you walk and go slowly. Do this regularly through the day to keep your circulation going.

Swelling Post Op

I'm so sorry you're having such discomfort!

It is very normal to have #swelling after your #tummytuck surgery. It is very common for swelling to accumulate in the #pubic area as gravity will drain fluid downward. This swelling will continue to improve over the course of three to six months post-op.

You may wish to contact your #BoardCertified #PlasticSurgeon for an in-person consultation.

Swelling after abdominoplasty

Significant swelling is common after the surgery you had, and shingles most likely has made it even worse.  It will improve significantly over the first 4-6 weeks, and should be completely resolved by 3-6 months.  Wearing compression may still help with comfort.

Samir S. Rao, MD
Chevy Chase Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck - Post Op Swelling?

Thank you for your question. You should expect to have swelling for three to six months following tummy tuck surgery, Use of a properly fitted compression garment will help decrease the length and severity of the post-operative swelling. As the swelling decreases, the contour of your abdomen, flanks, and hips will dramatically improve. Please follow your plastic surgeons specific advice regarding your level of physical activity. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.

I expect some swelling, but never expected this.

Sorry to hear about your problem.    

Shingles certainly have impacted your healing process with added inflammation and pain.   The symptoms you are describing my be secondary to the shingles but there may be other issues as well.   It will be impossible to give you any meaningful opinion unless you were examined in person.

I recommend seeing your surgeon for an examination.   Only he/she will be able to assess the issues you are having and give you the best advise.

Postop shingles

Unfortunately this can happen. There is no way one of us can comment on your specific case without seeing you in person. My advice would be to see your surgeon ASAP.  Everything you describe could be totally normal give your circumstances, but the best person to evaluate and treat you is your original surgeon. Good luck!

Elan B. Singer, MD