After getting a tummy tuck, when can you return to work in the field of a CNA where though you lift patients?

No Stress of Abdominal Muscles 6-8 Weeks

Dear rashonda123,

A tummy tuck has two purposes and that is to tighten the skin and to tighten the underlying muscles. The long-term strength of the muscle tightening is not through the stitches that are placed by the surgeon. The stitches hold the muscle in while your body heals and scars in, and that provides the long-term strength. As a result, you really should not be stressing those abdominal muscles for six to eight weeks until enough healing has ensued or else a suture could pop or could pull through the tissues in which case you would see abnormal bulging again. I would recommend you check whether light duty is available or if an aid is possible to help with lifting.

I hope this has been helpful.

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

REcovery after a tummy tuck varies from one individual to the other.  However, to return to work as a CNA and be able to lift patients I usually recommend 4-6 weeks. 

Ruben B. Abrams, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck - Post Op Return To Physical Activity

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your recent procedure. I instruct my patients to wait at least four weeks before performing strenuous physical activity. Your plastic surgeon is your best resource as he/she knows exactly what was performed and how your recovery is progressing. Hope this helps!

After getting a tummy tuck, when can you return to work in the CNA field?

Thank you for your question.  After a tummy tuck with a muscle repair most patients can resume lifting, pushing, and pulling activities at six weeks after surgery.  You will need to slowly work into the level of activity based on any discomfort it elicits.  Speak to your surgeon about restrictions, they are your best source of information based on your anticipated procedures.  

Heavy lifting

Hello and thanks for the question. After a tummy tuck you should be able to return to heavy lifting in about 4-6 weeks. You should gradually work your way into increasing the amount of weight that you lift. 

Be safe

That depends on whether or not you have a "muscle repair" as part of the procedure and how your healing process proceeds. For my patients, if healing normally, they can lift unrestricted after two weeks if no muscle repair and after 6-8 weeks with a muscle repair. Discuss your concerns with your surgeon to see what they recommend for your situation.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD