Belly button odor after tummy tuck 10 months ago?

I had a TT with muscle repair September 2015, which was 10 months ago; but my belly button has a strange odor, I might have a tiny bit of discharge when I clean it, I sometime clean it with astringent or alcohol, what could it be?

#MiniTummyTuck #TummyTuck - BB odor 10 mo after tummy tuck?

In general, this is due to a cyst having formed within the suture line, a retained suture (although it's a little late for that) or some other retained foreign body.  It is not normally a big problem but it can be annoying and uncomfortable to have an odor from the surgical site.

You should contact your PS and expect to be examined in person.  At that point, a minor surgical procedure may be recommended, depending on what he or she sees and suggests.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. Alan Engler
Member of #RealSelf500

Thank you for your question and I am sorry to hear of your drainage.  Occasional odor and discharge from a recent surgical site is most likely the result of either epidermal inclusion cysts or a suture related issue.  Both of these can be treated by your plastic surgeon in their office once diagnosed. Hope this helps.