Hair Transplant - Can relatives hair be used or will the body reject the hairs?

Hello, My brother has extremely thick hair and is a universal blood donor is that is a factor. I was wondering if other people's hair has been successfully transplanted? Thank you

Using other peoples hair for transplant

When doing a hair transplant the safes most effective way will be using your own hair or body hair.  I do not recommend using a donor.  Consider SMP if there a limitation on what can be filled in through transplant.

Lincoln Hair Restoration Surgeon

Only if it is an identical twin

I'm not aware of a transplant between identical twins but is is theoretically possible.  It's been done with fat and skin flap before! But if your family member is not a twin, it won't work. If you don't have enough hair on your head, body hair is a last resort as well.  There are other options like micropigmenting depending on your complexion.  Good luck!

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Thanks for your query. There is a high chance of rejection from the recipient as the donor is from outside. There is a high chance of failure from the transplant. Apart from the rejection there is a high chance of sepsis as well. The best option for hair transplant is using one’s own hair graft. Hope it helps.

All The Best

Ajaya Kashyap, MD
India Plastic Surgeon

Person to person hair transplant

Q person to person hair transplant will reject just like a kidney, but if you have an identical twin it would work

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

You cannot harvest donor hair from family members. The only exception would be a genetically identical twin.

You cannot harvest donor hair from family members.  The only exception would be a genetically identical twin.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Transplant

using hair from someone else, blood relative or not, doesn't work as it gets rejected. your best and safest bet is to use hair from your own head, you can also consider body hair or even scalp micropigmentation as well. 

Rae Lynne Kinler, MD
Chicago Physician

Can relatives be used as hair donors?

porterj89,

Hair transplants from one identical twin to another has been done. Dr. Glen Charles has transplant from one twin to another. The issue is more complicated if it is not from an identical twin, since immune suppressive meds would be needed then. 

Sincerely, 

Bernardino A. Arocha, MD

Bernardino Arocha, MD
Houston Hair Restoration Surgeon

Donor hair from another person

This question comes up a lot:  can I receive hair from another person. The answer is no, unless these people are identical twins, and even then, there is not a 100% chance that the hairs will not be rejected.  

Steven Gabel, MD, FACS
Portland Hair Restoration Surgeon