How Can I Get Rid of Mosquito Bite Scars on my Legs and Hands? (photo)

I have always had sensitive skin and living in Africa i got bitten by a lot of insects especially mosquitoes and when these bites heal they do not vanish but instead turn into dark large spots. I have these very prominent dark spots all over my legs and arms and being fifteen i have never been able to show them in publlc. I am searching for an effective and permanent solution for this. What can i do?

Mosquitoe bites and dark spots on the legs

Pigmentation from mosquitoe bites are best treated with Melaquin AM and Melaquin PM creams, followed by once monthly MelaPeel chemical peels. 

Many lasers and techniques to lessen dark spots on the body

There are many creams, techniques , and lasers which can be used to lessen dark marks on your arm. Firstly, I would consider use of topical creams - mostly prescription strength - to help lighten the dark spots. Use of sunscreen and avoidance of trauma to the area will help prevent the dark spots from getting worse. Secondly, chemical Peels and microdermabrasion are often helpful for superficial pigmentation problems, thirdly , lasers such as the Fraxel 1927 and the 1550 are both helpful for pigmentation issues. Sometimes the nd- yag ,IPL, and ruby lasers are helpful for pigmentation problems. Ideally you should go to a dermatologist who specializes in lasers and cosmetic surgery would be advantageous in your situation.

Joshua L. Fox, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Mosquito Bite Scars

There are several different options to think about when looking to reduce dark spots of the skin. Some scars may respond well to topical skin care creams containing hydroquinone. Some places offer laser treatments to help reduce the look of hyperpigmentation. Chemical peels and/or microdermabrasion can reduce the appearance of dark spots of the skin as they are exfoliating. Be sure to speak with a licensed aestetician, dermatologist, or board certified plastic surgeon about your options to find the treatment that is right for you.

"Dr.D"

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon