Rhinoplasty: My nose is thin and too long for my face, if I get the hump removed would I need to make the tip smaller?

Hi I really need a rhinoplasty but I want it to fit my face as my nose is thin and long for my face but I am wodering if I get the hump removed would I need to get the tip smaller as im worried if I only get the hump removed my nose would look longer than it is as seen in photos Can any doctor do me a animation to see what my nose migh look like after surgery please help:(

Rhinoplasty for nasal hump removal

The dorsal nasal hump is composed of both bone and cartilage and needs to be shaved down in order to give an improved profile. Once the hump has been removed, osteotomies of the nasal bones are required.   Depending upon  the patient's desire, the tip itself can be left alone or narrowed. This is  part of the consultation process and decision-making going into the rhinoplasty procedure at the time of examination.
Computer imaging can be performed in most plastic surgery office settings, with the better photographs and a higher resolution. 

Balancing the nose

Very good question.  What you've picked up on is the fact that when you change one part of a nose it affects another part, either directly or by appearance. 

What you say is correct, but that will need to be assessed both before and during surgery.  It's a question of balance.  So the nose should fit the face, and the nose should looks good within itself.  Get these issues addressed before you have surgery and be comfortable with what your surgeon is trying to achieve. Imaging is very useful as you have alluded to, as it can help both you and the surgeon see what is possible for your nose and face.

All the best.

Peter Callan, MBBS
Geelong Plastic Surgeon

Thin, Long Nose

After removal of the hump your tip will appear wide. In order to improve your nose and establish proper proportions between the parts of your nose I  would remove the hump, narrow the bridge,narrow the tip, and  raise the hanging columella.

Rhinoplasty: My nose is thin and too long for my face, if I get the hump removed would I need to make the nose tip smaller?

Removal of the hump can be performed through a closed rhinoplasty approach.  Tip position can be evaluated with imaging to determine if you want additional changes.

Long nose with hump

The nasal hump when reduced actually makes the nose look smaller. That should resolve your issue. You do not need to do the tip at the same time. If down the road you feel your tip is too big you can get tip-plasty as a separate procedure. 
Regards
Dr. J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon