How Soon After Rhinoplasty Can I Fly or Exercise?

I am scheduled to have an open rhinoplasty to slightly refine my nasal tip. Is there a certain amount of time I am supposed to wait before flying on an airplane, exercising, or even being intimate with my significant other?

Intimacy, Exercise, and Flying After Rhinoplasty

Hi I,

Let's save the best for last. Patients may fly 6-7 days following rhinoplasty. Patients may begin light walking at 4-7 days, but wait about 18-21 days before vigorous exercise.

Based on the previous two time periods, you are in the best "position" to determine when you can be intimate. My patients are allowed to "make love" after 10 days, but they must wait 18-21 days for vigorous "sex".

Make sure that you follow your surgeons instructions. Enjoy your new nose and everything else. Be well.

Dr. P

Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon

Exercising and Flying After Rhinoplasty

It is extremely important to follow the post care procedure instructions provided by your surgeon. Generally, flying is not recommended the first week post surgery due to the congestion and pressure you may experience. Most patients can start to exercise lightly two weeks after surgery. High impact exercise should not be introduced back into your routine for about three weeks after surgery.

Scott Chapin, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Flying in 2 weeks, exercise in 3 weeks

We generally let our patients....

• Fly in one week if they must, but I prefer 10 days to 2 weeks
  • Get on an elliptical machine in 3 weeks
  • Run in 3-4 weeks as long as it does not hurt.  A lot of pressure transmits up to your nose when you plant your foot.

Stuart H. Bentkover, MD
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Flying After Rhinoplasty

Many of my patients are from all around the U.S.A. I allow my patients to fly within 7-10 days after I perform a rhinoplasty. We like to take out their internal nasal splints and make sure that they have nasal spray such as an Afrin type spray for middle ear decompression during take off and landing. One needs to also know there will be more swelling when flying after rhinoplasty for up to 3 months.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Exercise ok 6 weeks after Rhinoplasty

Every doctor is different, but I suggest 6 weeks for exercise. Intimacy is about being careful, so you can have fun earlier if you are careful. Concern for flying is about dryness. Be sure to humidify your nose frequently during your flight.

Robert M. Freund, MD

Exercise after Rhinoplasty

Our primary concerns with this are the potential for bleeding which are greatest within the first 24 hours and at 7-10 days after surgery. Therefore, physical exertion which can raise your blood pressure should be strictly avoided during this period.

In regards to physical contact, this depends on what was done. A reconstructive rhinoplasty with bone grafts and cartilage grafts requires greater protection than a simple tip rhinoplasty.

My general rule is to use the week number as the number of miles/hr you would set on a treadmill. For example:

Week 1 = 1 mph

Week 2 = 2 mph

Week 3 = 3 mph

But the most important thing is to ask you surgeon.

Limitations after Rhinoplasty

Restrictions after rhinoplasty generally are there to prevent bleeding in the post-operative period. For most surgery, problems with bleeding are usually encountered 7-10 days after the procedure. This is when increased activity can cause a clot to break off a partially healed vessel. These activities include things like nose blowing, strenuous lifting, intimacy, and exercise. We usually allow return to full activity after 2 weeks. Obviously, if there are any issues, that time period is extended.

Flying can be safe after 2 weeks, although we usually recommend waiting 3-4 weeks. The main reason for this recommendation is to avoid being at 30,000 feet if you do happen to have a nose bleed. Pressure changes and dry air can also increase the risk of problems.

Finally, exercise at 2 weeks can sometimes promote temporary increases in swelling. If that occurs, then just dial down the exertion and taper your activity according to how it affects the nose. Nothing permanent will occur if you do happen to swell.

Richard W. Westreich, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

No flying for 1 week, no exercise for 2 weeks

We ask our patients to delay any air travel for a minimum of 7 days after rhinoplasty. No exercise for a full 2 weeks; during the 3rd week patients start with a gentler work out to return to "full force" activity after 3 weeks. The same applies for heavy lifting etc.

For your final recommendations, please refer to the preferences of your rhinoplasty surgeon as he/she may differ from our routine.

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

I encourage my patients to begin light exercise two weeks following rhinoplasty surgery.

I encourage my patients to begin light exercise two weeks following rhinoplasty surgery. Heavier exercise can be done starting at 4 to 6 weeks following surgery, depending on the individual. Flying should be avoided for the first week, and preferably the second as well. All of the stitches, tape, and nasal splints will be removed after the first week, but flying may increase your risk of bleeding and may also cause issues with congestion. If you do fly one or two weeks after rhinoplasty surgery, it is recommended to take steps to keep your nose hydrated with a nasal spray. Please follow your surgeon’s instructions as to when you can fly after surgery. I hope this helps.

How soon can I workout after rhinoplasty surgery?

For the first 2 weeks you want to avoid getting your blood pressure or heart rate elevated with any strenuous activity as it can cause bleeding. After 2 weeks you can gradually begin an exercise regimen and increase your regimen as tolerated. You want to avoid any activities that require sudden movements of the head or that can allow any inadvertent contact with your nose. In addition, movements that require putting you face down or below the level of your heart can worsen your swelling and prolong your recovery period.

Jason Roostaeian, MD