Nose Bridge Painful After Rhinoplasty

I had rhinoplasty to correct a hump on my bridge, rotate the tip, and define it better. This was in December. It's now the end of February and my tip is still big.

Also, I'm concerned, because when I move my eyebrows up, my bridge hurts a bit, but not when I touch it. Is that bad or is it normal for the bridge to be tender when making certain facial expressions? And is it normal for the tip to look so round now, especially in photographs? Thank you! Please help!

Nose Bridge Painful 3 Months After Rhinoplasty

Hi Caitlin,

It does take a long time sometimes for the nose to settle in after rhinoplasty. Be patient. Let your surgeon know what your concerns are and listen and follow instructions. It may take 3 to 9 more months until your tip definition is improved and as long until your muscles at the bridge of your nose feel normal. If at 12 months you are still dissatisfied, then it would be time to consider revision surgery, again depending on your surgeon's advice.

I hope that things settle a lot quicker for you and that you are able to fully enjoy your new nose. Be well, and please take a swim for me at the Venetian Pool, and in South Beach.

Dr. P

Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon

Patience

It can take several months (sometimes 1-2 years for revision cases or with thick skin) for the swelling to go down to the point where your so-called "final" results are visible.  Some tenderness when feeling the nose or with certain facial expressions is normal for a few months as well.

Colin Pero, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal bridge will be tender for upwards of six months

The nasal bridge will be tender for upwards of six months after a nasal surgery due to medial and lateral osteotomies of the nasal bones. The nasal bones are cut and made narrower, and it takes a long time for the swelling to subside. Since it has only been three months, the tip is still swollen from lymphatic edema, and cortisone injections into the tip can be considered at this point.

This is normal healing.

The swelling and tenderness you feel is normal after a rhinoplasty. I tell my patients that it will take 6-12 months for the swelling to recede and the tip will be the last to go down. Try to relax and enjoy your new nose realizing that each month it will improve.