Removing Nose Bump Without Breaking the Nose?

I am 20 years old and I have always felt insecure about the bump on my nose. I have been reading a lot about Nose surgery and I have heard people just getting it filed down without having to break the nose.

What is this called? What is the procedure? And what are the estimated costs?

Reducing nasal dorsum

Fullness on the bridge (or dorsum) of the nose may be reduced without also manipulating the nasal bones in some patients.  If the fullness (bump) is mostly cartilage (and not bone) and does not result in the upper third of the nose appearing too wide or too flat then controlled breaks of the nasal bones (to narrow the upper third of the nose) may not be required.  This is a surgical decision your surgeon will make during your rhinoplasty procedure.

Sarasota Facial Plastic Surgeon

Depends on the size of the bump

Small bumps may be filed. Large bumps require all parts of the bridge of the nose to be reduced which means fracturing the bones to close an "open roof." The only way to know for sure is to see a rhinoplasty surgeon. 

Stephan Finical, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

It depends but usually it's necessary

When a significant bump is filed down this usually creates a flat surface on the bridge. In order to narrow this it is usually necessary to perform osteotomies of the nasal bones. This is a controlled cut or break in the nasal bone.  If the bump is small and the nasal bones are narrow and not deviated this may be avoided.

Richard Rival, MD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Humpectomy without fracture, cost

Each individual is different. Some folks only need a little surgery, like taking down the hump. One may need cartilage trim. One may need in-fracturing. One may also want to reduce the projection of the nose. Sometimes operating on one part of the nose may effect another part. Best to see an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon. Visit with a few. Take a look at the before/after photos. Ask your questions. Together, you should be able to garner a plan to achieve your goals. The cost may depend on many factors, including the complexity of your nose, time spent in the OR, the city that you live in.                                                   

Jeffrey J. Roth, MD, FACS

On rare occasions the nose bump can be removed without breaking the nose bones if you have a narrow nose with a small bump and there is no deviation of the nose. Often removal of the bump makes the nose look wider and may expose the underlying deviation and asymmetry which cannot be correct without breaking (osteotomy) of the nose bones. It is important to know that breaking the nose bones is not breaking the arm or leg bones. This are very thin bones that are gently move with special tools.

Bahman Guyuron, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Removing a Nasal Hump without Breaking the Nose

Yes, a bump can be removed without breaking the nose as long as the bump is not very large.  If the bump is large, then removing it results in a flat contour to the bridge of the nose.  This called an open roof deformity if it is not taken care of during the procedure.  To take care of this flat surface, the nasal bones are infractured to move them together to give a normal bridge.   If the bump is not too big, it can simply be rasped/ shaved down while maintaining a normal bridge contour.  I charge $7500 for a typical rhinoplasty.  If  a hump removal is all that is necessary, the charge would be less.

Jonathan Pontell, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

It depends on the size of the bump.

If the bump is small sometimes we don't have to break the bones. But this is the exception, not the rule. See an experienced rhinoplasty specialist and let him guide you so you don't end up with a bad result--it's your face. 

A rhinoplasty to remove the bump on your nose usually requires breaking the bones

The problem is, if you just file down the bump you are left with a flat contour. Surgeons call this an open book deformity. The nasal bones need to be folded in. To do this, the bones must be broken. I charge $5000 for a rhinoplasty including anesthesia and the surgery center. I have attached a link to my website in case you wish to read more.

Eric Swanson, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Removing nose bump without breaking the nose

A "bump" on the nose can be filed without infracturing if the resultant width of the filed nose is not to wide and the skin above the filing is no too thin.  This is generally a decision that is made at the time for surgery. 

Mark E. Crispin, MD

Nasal Bump Removal

What features of the nasal bridge make it look good?  Nasal bridges which are smooth, straight and balanced for the patient's face look best.  Bumps can represent areas of the profile that are too high, but may also represent areas of normal bridge height with depressions above and below.  Consultation with a surgeon who is well-trained and specializes in rhinoplasty can help you determine that, as the treatments are different. 

If, however, this is a true excess of height, lowering it makes sense. If this area is solely comprised of cartilage, the bump can be shaved down and may not require anything done to the nasal bones. This is not a very common situation.  Generally, there is a bony component of the bump, and it's removal leaves a gap between the right and left nasal bones- this is referred to as an "open roof". Only the most minimal bony bumps can be filed down without leaving an "open roof". Not correcting an "open roof" makes the nose look broad, flat and "surgical".  "Closing" the "open roof" requires manipulating the nasal bones with bone cuts- we call these "osteotomies".

Anthony P. Sclafani, MD