How to Remove Dark Spots Caused from Ingrown Hairs from Upper Lip?

Ever since I started shaving I have always gotten ingrown hairs on my face especially on my upper lip. I have tried everything in order to get rid of the ingrown problems. The hairs would then form scabs and would come off and leave red/brownish marks in my skin. They have been there for years and haven't gone. I have tried many high street creams and none have worked. What do I do? Will these naturally go over time? I don't even have acne and this is a real problem for me.

Removing Ingrown Hair Spots

From what you are describing, it seems as if treating the area with laser hair removal may be the best course of action. This would eliminate hair follicles in the region, meaning that no new hair could grow and therefore preventing future scabbing and scars. As for treatment of the current red and brown marks that these scabs have been causing, my practice offers the widest variety of lasers in the nation that can be customized for each patient to bring desired results. A combination of laser treatment and hydroquinone will most likely help resolve your marks.

San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Dark Spots from Ingrown Hair

Hi Shinz.  Our recommendation would be to treat the underlying problem.  That means that you would remove the hair via laser hair removal.  If this is something you cannot or will not consider then a prescription for hydroquinone can help fade the spots.  We would recommend 4% - 6% HQ.  

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Melapads for dark ingrown hair spots on the face and body

Laser hair removal may help the situation longterm.  However, I would first pretreat the area with exfoliating lightening pads such as MelaPads.  This will help prevent and improve dark spots. Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS