I had lacrimal gland surgery and it only lasted a couple months. Should I try it again? Has the procedure improved? (photos)

I am a 30 year old female. I had the surgery on my lacrimal glands 10 years ago at age 20. The results only lasted a couple months. I hate them so much and constantly having people point them out and ask if I got punched in the eye. Aside from the cosmetic aspect they make me feel like there is pressure on my eye and they obstruct my vision. It's like I have my finger on my eyelid all the time and while reading or doing other things I often pull my eyelid up to relieve pressure and see better.

Prominent Lacrimal Glands

Any time a lacrimal gland bulges it should be evaluated by an oculoplastic surgeon. Surgery to correct this involves suturing the lacrimal gland inside the orbit. Although the results should be permanent, sometimes problems can recur. I would talk to your surgeon and ask him or her why they think it came back. You may wish to have a CT scan of the orbits to make sure there isn't some other problem causing this to happen.

Long Island Oculoplastic Surgeon

See oculoplastic specialist

Best to see an oculoplastic surgeon for evaluation. It is possible the previous surgery failed or it is possible there is something else going on. 

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Prolapsed lacrimal glands

When the lacrimal glands come forward out of the eye socket (prolapse) they will need to be repositioned up underneath the brow bone. I have found that using non-absorbable sutures placed in a type of X pattern to support the gland has good long term results. See a local oculoplastic surgeon and share your concerns. 

Matheson A. Harris, MD
Salt Lake City Oculoplastic Surgeon

Prolapsed lacrimal glands

Lacrimal gland resuspension should have a longer-lasting result than that what you experienced. I would try to obtain the operative report from the original surgery to see what technique and what type of suture was used. I would suggest having a revision since you are young and so bothered by this. The condition will not improve on it's own and may worsen with time. Make sure to see an oculoplastic surgeon experienced in this type of procedure. Good luck!

Katherine Zamecki, MD, FACS
Danbury Oculoplastic Surgeon