Is it ridiculous to want a mini facelift at the age of 36?

I'm not familiar with all the procedures out there, so it would be great to hear some feedback on this. I'm half asian, so I have great skin; however, I have gained/lost weight with pregnancies so I feel like there's some looseness going on. I've also noticed my "RBF" (resting b*** face) getting a little more pronounced because of the natural drooping that occurs over time from ones eye line to chin. Thank you

Facelift in the young female?

A facelift is done when someone has enough excess skin in the face to have significant improvement in their appearance. See a very experienced face lift surgeon who will show you many examples of natural results that he has done. The incision should not be seen  and should be inside the ear instead of in front of the ear. 

Facelift in your 30's

Facelifting in your 30's can be wonderful or terrible depending on your facial anatomy and the surgeon doing the procedure.  Overall, young patients do not benefit from mini lifts or minimalistic type of facelifts.  They only scar. This is because most young people who need facelifts actually need more of a release to make a positive difference.  The most effective technique for corner of mouth cheeks and neck is a modified extended deep plane lift which I call the auralyft 

Ben Talei, MD

Hi, I have performed facelifts for over 30 years and have performed many minimally, invasive type facelifts on women in their late twenties and early thirties that had early, jowl formation.  Non smiling photos of your face from the front and side would help in the evaluation.  

Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces.  Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front.  Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.

If the chin is weak, this creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.   I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick and highly effective.

If you have "jowls” these are sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a SMAS facelift.  The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured (not merely folded or suspended with threads or sutures that will not last).  The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed. My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face, deep plane, cheek lift and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:
  • very small incisions
  • minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery ( several days instead of weeks or months with the more invasive type facelifts mentioned)
  • can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without general anesthesia
  • no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
  • excess fat can be removed
  • excess skin removed
  • cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or facial implants
  • most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op
I combine facial shaping with every facelift procedure.  When jowls are present, these should be done in concert and not alone or separately in order to create a naturally, more attractive face.

Hope this helps.

Skin Quality, Not Age, Determines Need for Mini Lifts

Although 36 is young to be considering a mini lift, chronological age is not the determining factor in what kinds of procedures would most benefit a patient. Instead, individual anatomy, skin quality, and expected outcome are the factors to be considered when making recommendations. Gaining and losing weight can stretch out the skin to the point where it may not “snap back.” Depending on how lax the skin is, it may not even respond to some of the nonsurgical modalities now available.A mini facelift will clean up your jawline and neck and can last for up to 10 years. If you suspect that your weight might continue to yo-yo, however, you might wish to delay the procedure until it is more stable. I hope that helps.

Facelift at 36

Hi there,
Thanks for the question. A mini facelift is a great option for younger candidates with minor skin laxity concerns, requiring just a simple tuck. If the patient has large amounts of drooping skin, significant jowling, and deep creases, it can be difficult for a surgeon to re-drape the skin in a mini-lift and provide a commendable result. In these cases, a full facelift should be considered for a much better result. We find an increase in the requests of a younger population seeking skin rejuvenation and facial tightening, who also desire to get back to their busy lives sooner, more and more patients are opting for the minilift. For the right candidate, a mini facelift can be a safe, quick, and effective was to make a fantastic aesthetic improvement to his or her aging face.There are also non-invasive procedures that can address your common complaints with the injection of dermal fillers, and laser skin rejuvenation treatments which can produce long lasting without the commitment of a surgical procedure. There are many types of techniques to achieve a desirable youthful appearance. It is best to go in for an in-person consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes in facial cosmetic surgery who can evaluate the condition of your face and see what is the best option for you. 

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Needs evaluation

An evaluation by a board certified plastic surgeon will help.Fillers, Botox, lasers, and skin care are a start.Certain patients can do very well with lifts.

36 is younger side for a mini facelift

36 is younger side for a mini facelift with plastic surgery. Alternatives to improve a "RBF" may include Botox/Dysport and facial fillers. These non-surgical alternatives are considered for younger patients. While some women may notice or feel a change after pregnancy to their facial features, plastic surgeons may advise waiting an appropriate amount of time after delivery until proceeding with any procedure. A physical examination and office consultation is required to determine appropriate options, so if you haven't already, then speak with a plastic surgeon.
BestDr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Who needs a mini-lift at age 36?

As we age, the face first loses volume, then the skin loses elasticity. At age 36, you are probably losing volume. You have the benefit of having Asian skin, which maintains good elasticity. So my guess is that volume would help you more than a minilift. You need to understand that a minilift only improves the jawline and jowls. Without seeing photos of you, I think you probably could consider a "liquid facelift" with Botox and fillers. I'll also bet your RBF is not nearly as bad as you suggest!!!

Theda C. Kontis, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Age range for considering facelift

Thank you for your question. It's not unheard of to consider facelifting surgery in certain patients under 30 years-old. However, I bet there are less invasive measures that you could use that would improve your appearance without that. Botox and fillers (such as Juvederm or Voluma) are great first steps. Fat grafting (or fat transfer) can be a more long lasting approach as well. Treatment options for the neck might also help your jowls. It just depends on your case, and how invasive you are willing to go. I'd meet with a couple plastic surgeons near you for in-person advice. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon