What is Recovery Time on Lower Facelift?

Recovery Time for a Lower Facelift

A neck lift is similar to a mini facelift and the recovery is not a lot different between the two.  Similar incisions are made unless an incision under the chin is done as well.  The work done under the skin to tighten the muscles may be just as extensive as a regular facelift depending upon the surgeon and what need to be done to get good results.

Recovery from any facelift or necklift is somewhat variable depending upon the individual and the extent of surgery that is done.  A limited or mini facelift or simple necklift may have slight shorter times than I mention here but not always.  There are three parts to "recovery":

1. True recovery or time back up on your feet and able to go for a walk or get things done.  This should be no more than a day or two.
  2. Downtime or the time for the swelling and bruising to pass so that you can go out with some makeup on and not have people look aghast.  This is usually 7 to 10 days but may be a little longer depending upon you and the extent of the procedure.
  3. Time for healing.  I tell all my patients that all of the swelling is usually gone at 3 months and 80% of it is gone at 3 weeks.  Bruising can last up to 3 weeks.  Small lumps and bumps that can occasionally form may be 3 to 6 months before they are completely gone. The scars will be red and thick for up to a year.

Facelift and neck lift surgery can be transformative however and most of these problems are pretty minor.

I hope that helps and if it does please give it and up vote at the top right at the "report' button.  Thanks.

Best regards.

Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Plan A Two Week Recovery After Lower Face And Neck Lift

Thank you for your question.  Recovery time varies greatly between patients and among different surgeons.

However I advise my patients to plan a 2 week recovery following lower facelift and neck lift surgery.  Although you will feel well and able to be up and around and go for walks the first 2-3 days after surgery you will have swelling and bruising especially in the neck which can take 2 weeks to resolve.  Many patients after 5-6 days will apply makeup to cover the bruising and be comfortable going back to a non-lifting or non-stressful job.

However I think its best plan a 2 week recovery.  In addition for you to look normal and feel comfortable for an important social event such as a wedding or photography session I would plan on waiting 6 weeks.

Facelift recovery

Thank you for your question. Assuming you are in good physical and medical condition, recovery from a lower facelift is generally very acceptable/tolerable for most patients. Such recovery is obviously dependent on the type of facelift you get and what other procedures you get in conjunction (i.e. laser skin resurfacing, autologous fat transfer etc.). Incisions are generally placed around or within hairlines and around the ear to help camouflage the scars. You may have an additional incision underneath the chin if additional neck contouring is necessary to achieve an optimal result. Sutures are removed in 1 week. Social recovery (i.e. when you will be comfortable being seen in public) is usually 7-10 days owing to bruising and swelling. Aerobic exercise can be resumed after 2 weeks and high impact activities (i.e. running, jumping) started after 3 weeks. The final aesthetic outcome is typically evident at the 3 month mark (this is when we take post-operative photographs). A consultation with an expert in facial plastic surgery who specializes in Rhytidectomy (Facelifting) will allow for a proper assessment of your individual needs and expected recovery.

Edward Buckingham, MD
Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon

Healing After Your Facelift Surgery

I'm linking to a page on my site that addresses healing after your facial plastic surgery, in detail.
Healing times after a facelift vary from patient to patient. Things that effect healing include surgical technique, the type of surgery (i.e. Facelift ) that is performed, the patient’s medical history and overall health, how well patients follow the pre and postoperative instructions (i.e. Avoiding alcohol and medications/supplements that promote bruising), and the patient’s normal tendency to bruise easily. Unfortunately, there are no absolute rules when it comes to healing. What I try to do is give my patients averages based my own patients. I find that the majority of the signs of surgery (i.e. How patients look the day after my facelift techniques) have improved 70-80% in the first 7 days. It is very common that patients feel ready and comfortable to go out in public with concealer and make-up on at that time (sometimes sooner). By 2 weeks, 80-90% of the signs of surgery are usually improved. There is still some healing that goes on for another few months that is very often flattering but unrealistic when it comes to the judging the final results. I personally feel most comfortable critiquing the results I achieve for my patients at 3 months or later and believe that the after pictures at that time are most credible when appreciating how amazing things will look for the long term.

Mark Karolak, DO, FAOCO
Bridgewater Facial Plastic Surgeon

2-3 weeks

Most early recovery is done in 7-10 days in a routine lower facelift. Patients feel pretty good in 3 weeks.  However it takes about 6 months to achieve final result.  Lot of patince is required during this period of healing.

Vasdev Rai, MD

Facelift Recovery

It is important to realize that the amount of time it takes to recover from facelift surgery varies greatly between individuals. Elevation of the head is extremely helpful in reducing the initial Postoperative swelling. You may also be advised to use ice packs intermittently.

You should avoid Aspirin and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications for the first few days after your surgery. Smoking and exposure to second-hand smoke should be avoided to prevent delays in the healing process.

Once the dressings and drains are removed, puffiness and discoloration may be more pronounced in some portions of the face than others. Do not be alarmed by any unevenness or temporary asymmetry. This is normal. Most swelling is usually noted in the first 24 to 48 hours, and most bruising resolves within two weeks. Concealing makeup is usually permitted after the first week. You may experience numbness to the face postoperatively, which usually resolves within several months.

Some patients find that mild swelling persists for many weeks. Most stitches are removed within a week of the.

Of course, many of our modern mini facelifts, such as the MACS facelift, allow patients to literally be back in public or work in as little as three days with little or no bruising!

Straining, bending and lifting should be avoided during the early postoperative period as these activities may predispose you to bleeding.

We will give you specific instructions that may include caring for the dressings and incisions, directions for your analgesics and other medications, specific concerns to look for, and when to follow up in the office to monitor your healing process. It may take several months for the swelling to fully resolve, and up to six months for the incision scars to fully fade. Avoidance of factors that could reduce the benefits of the surgery, such as excessive unprotected sun exposure and cigarette use, is vital. Best of luck!

Dhaval M. Patel 

Double Board Certified 

Plastic Surgeon 

Hoffman Estates 

Barrington

Oakbrook 

Chicago 

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

What is Recovery time on lower facelift?

Although recovery time varies between patients, most patients are able to be socially active at 10 days to 2 weeks.  The swelling after lower facelift surgery is greatest in the first few days after surgery and then rapidly diminishes. Most, if not all, sutures are removed by 7-10 days.  Incisions are usually healing well by two weeks and require little care.  Although there will be some minor areas of swelling for several weeks, this should not affect your ability to return to work and  most activities.

John Zavell, MD, FACS
Toledo Plastic Surgeon

Surgical facelift vs. Ultherapy recovery

A lower facelift or necklift requires some downtime. For patients who do not desire prolonged downtime, the Ultherapy procedure provides an excellent alternative. Our office specializes in Ultherapy and surgical facelifts. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Recovery Time After Lower Facelift

Healing after a lower facelift depends on a number of different factors including technique, skin condition, health and smoking history.  On average, two weeks is a good estimate for most of the healing to occur and when one can resume non-strenuous activities. However, sensation changes, bruising, healing of the incision and minor swelling can sometimes take additional weeks to months longer.

Carlo P. Honrado, MD, FACS

Facelift Recovery Time Explained

Thank you for your question. Recovery encompasses several aspects. Most patients are most interested in pain, activity, and appearance.

Following a facelift, most patients use oral pain medication for early soreness for a just a few days.

Following a facelift, each surgeon has his or her own suggestions and recommendations, and your surgeon's advice should be followed. In general, most normal daily activities are resumed the day after surgery. One may shower after a few days. Most people resume driving after 5-7 days. Light exercise is resumed after approximately 2-3 weeks. Full exercise may be delayed for approximately 6 weeks.

Following a facelift, there is undeniably a period during which most patients prefer not to be seen in public due to the appearance of expected swelling and bruising. Most people are able to resume public appearances within 10-12 days with the use of makeup and hairstyling to help conceal any residual bruising or early scar discoloration.

James M. Pearson, MD