What is Recovery Time on Lower Facelift?

Plan A Two Week Recovery After Lower Face And Neck Lift

Thank you for your question.  Recovery time varies greatly between patients and among different surgeons.

However I advise my patients to plan a 2 week recovery following lower facelift and neck lift surgery.  Although you will feel well and able to be up and around and go for walks the first 2-3 days after surgery you will have swelling and bruising especially in the neck which can take 2 weeks to resolve.  Many patients after 5-6 days will apply makeup to cover the bruising and be comfortable going back to a non-lifting or non-stressful job.

However I think its best plan a 2 week recovery.  In addition for you to look normal and feel comfortable for an important social event such as a wedding or photography session I would plan on waiting 6 weeks.

1-2 weeks, 3-6 months to final result

in general, it will be at least 1-2 weeks before you feel comfortable going out in public.  He will probably feel like yourself before that time frame.  Bruising and swelling would be the reasons you want to stay in.

Ethan Philpott, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Facelift recovery time

Recovery time after facelifts vary with the patient.  On average, recovery is 14 days.  The first day, the patient can go home or spend the night.  He or she will have a dressing around their head to hold the neck skin up and the patient comes back to the office the following morning.  That week, we recommend no heavy lifting, bending over, or strenous activity.  On day 7, all of the stitches come out, you can start using makeup and we allow you to start working out.  The problem with day 7 is that you are still swollen and bruised.  This is what usually takes another 7 days to resolve. 

Mike Majmundar, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Healing After Your Facelift Surgery

I'm linking to a page on my site that addresses healing after your facial plastic surgery, in detail.
Healing times after a facelift vary from patient to patient. Things that effect healing include surgical technique, the type of surgery (i.e. Facelift ) that is performed, the patient’s medical history and overall health, how well patients follow the pre and postoperative instructions (i.e. Avoiding alcohol and medications/supplements that promote bruising), and the patient’s normal tendency to bruise easily. Unfortunately, there are no absolute rules when it comes to healing. What I try to do is give my patients averages based my own patients. I find that the majority of the signs of surgery (i.e. How patients look the day after my facelift techniques) have improved 70-80% in the first 7 days. It is very common that patients feel ready and comfortable to go out in public with concealer and make-up on at that time (sometimes sooner). By 2 weeks, 80-90% of the signs of surgery are usually improved. There is still some healing that goes on for another few months that is very often flattering but unrealistic when it comes to the judging the final results. I personally feel most comfortable critiquing the results I achieve for my patients at 3 months or later and believe that the after pictures at that time are most credible when appreciating how amazing things will look for the long term.

Mark Karolak, DO, FAOCO
Bridgewater Facial Plastic Surgeon

Recovery

You can expect to have minimal bruising and swelling for around 1-2 weeks postoperatively.  It can vary patient to patient.  We do want patients up and moving after surgery and your pain should be minimal.  In regards to recovery it is not bad at all!  Best of luck! 

2-3 weeks

Most early recovery is done in 7-10 days in a routine lower facelift. Patients feel pretty good in 3 weeks.  However it takes about 6 months to achieve final result.  Lot of patince is required during this period of healing.

Vasdev Rai, MD

Lower Facelift Recovery Time

I suggest you consult a board certified facial plastic surgeon to receive the highest quality knowledge, treatment, care and skill available. A consultation provides you the opportunity to relay your concerns and desired outcome to the surgeon while the surgeon can assess your health profile and discuss his/her pertinent advice.

Recovery time for lower facelift - like any procedure - may vary slightly based on the surgeon, patient and scope of work performed. Find an educated, experienced doctor who specializes on just faces because all of their time and resources are dedicated to this specialty. Ask where your procedure will be performed to ensure that your surgeon only operates in an accredited surgical facility or at a hospital.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

1-2 weeks

After a lower facelift, your recovery time would be 7-10 days depending upon the extent of the work required. In order to look good for special events, it may take a few weeks more.

Brian K. Machida, MD, FACS
Ontario Facial Plastic Surgeon

Recovery after facelift

For most patients a two week recovery is normal but it varies with how much is done (fat grafting, neck work , etc.)  Ask you plastic surgeon of choice what he/she recommends based on their technique. Good luck. 

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Lower facelift recovery

The recovery from a lower facelift varies a lot depending on exactly what kind of procedure is done and of course patient variation. It can also depend on what other procedures are done at the same time.. If you only have a facelift ( with probable neck lift of some kind) then you might be pretty presentable around a week or 10 days- ok to go back to work for example. If you also have eyelid surgery and / or a chemical peel or laser at the same time then you will need a little longer. Because there is little pain after the surgery , the main recovery focuses on reducing the amount of bruising and swelling which with newer techniques is for most patients dramatically better than 20 years ago.. Good Luck

G. Wesley Price, MD
Chevy Chase Plastic Surgeon