What is Recovery Time on Lower Facelift?

Plan A Two Week Recovery After Lower Face And Neck Lift

Thank you for your question.  Recovery time varies greatly between patients and among different surgeons.

However I advise my patients to plan a 2 week recovery following lower facelift and neck lift surgery.  Although you will feel well and able to be up and around and go for walks the first 2-3 days after surgery you will have swelling and bruising especially in the neck which can take 2 weeks to resolve.  Many patients after 5-6 days will apply makeup to cover the bruising and be comfortable going back to a non-lifting or non-stressful job.

However I think its best plan a 2 week recovery.  In addition for you to look normal and feel comfortable for an important social event such as a wedding or photography session I would plan on waiting 6 weeks.

Healing After Your Facelift Surgery

I'm linking to a page on my site that addresses healing after your facial plastic surgery, in detail.
Healing times after a facelift vary from patient to patient. Things that effect healing include surgical technique, the type of surgery (i.e. Facelift ) that is performed, the patient’s medical history and overall health, how well patients follow the pre and postoperative instructions (i.e. Avoiding alcohol and medications/supplements that promote bruising), and the patient’s normal tendency to bruise easily. Unfortunately, there are no absolute rules when it comes to healing. What I try to do is give my patients averages based my own patients. I find that the majority of the signs of surgery (i.e. How patients look the day after my facelift techniques) have improved 70-80% in the first 7 days. It is very common that patients feel ready and comfortable to go out in public with concealer and make-up on at that time (sometimes sooner). By 2 weeks, 80-90% of the signs of surgery are usually improved. There is still some healing that goes on for another few months that is very often flattering but unrealistic when it comes to the judging the final results. I personally feel most comfortable critiquing the results I achieve for my patients at 3 months or later and believe that the after pictures at that time are most credible when appreciating how amazing things will look for the long term.

Mark Karolak, DO, FAOCO
Bridgewater Facial Plastic Surgeon

2-3 weeks

Most early recovery is done in 7-10 days in a routine lower facelift. Patients feel pretty good in 3 weeks.  However it takes about 6 months to achieve final result.  Lot of patince is required during this period of healing.

Vasdev Rai, MD

Recovery Time After Lower Facelift

Healing after a lower facelift depends on a number of different factors including technique, skin condition, health and smoking history.  On average, two weeks is a good estimate for most of the healing to occur and when one can resume non-strenuous activities. However, sensation changes, bruising, healing of the incision and minor swelling can sometimes take additional weeks to months longer.

Carlo P. Honrado, MD, FACS

Recovery Time for a Lower Facelift

A neck lift is similar to a mini facelift and the recovery is not a lot different between the two.  Similar incisions are made unless an incision under the chin is done as well.  The work done under the skin to tighten the muscles may be just as extensive as a regular facelift depending upon the surgeon and what need to be done to get good results.

Recovery from any facelift or necklift is somewhat variable depending upon the individual and the extent of surgery that is done.  A limited or mini facelift or simple necklift may have slight shorter times than I mention here but not always.  There are three parts to "recovery":

1. True recovery or time back up on your feet and able to go for a walk or get things done.  This should be no more than a day or two.
  2. Downtime or the time for the swelling and bruising to pass so that you can go out with some makeup on and not have people look aghast.  This is usually 7 to 10 days but may be a little longer depending upon you and the extent of the procedure.
  3. Time for healing.  I tell all my patients that all of the swelling is usually gone at 3 months and 80% of it is gone at 3 weeks.  Bruising can last up to 3 weeks.  Small lumps and bumps that can occasionally form may be 3 to 6 months before they are completely gone. The scars will be red and thick for up to a year.

Facelift and neck lift surgery can be transformative however and most of these problems are pretty minor.

I hope that helps.

Best  regards

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Mini Lifts Have Shorter Recovery Times

In my practice, a “mini lift” is designed to counteract recent aging and sagging of the neck and lower face. The area is lifted, excess skin is removed, and the jawline is accentuated to give a more defined and youthful look. Generally, this is done in a patient who still has fairly elastic, good-quality skin and has only light sagging. Because it is a less aggressive procedure, requiring less pull than a traditional facelift, the recovery time is relatively quick. The procedure is performed with light, local anesthesia while the patient is awake. For the first week after surgery, the patient will wear a light wrap around the face and will clean the incisions twice daily. After a week, the stitches are removed and it's possible to be out and about in public and even to wear light makeup. After two weeks, most activities – excluding vigorous exercise – can be resumed. Schedule a consult with a board-certified facial plastic surgeon to find out how a mini lift can have a positive impact on your life.

Facelift recovery time

Recovery time after facelifts vary with the patient.  On average, recovery is 14 days.  The first day, the patient can go home or spend the night.  He or she will have a dressing around their head to hold the neck skin up and the patient comes back to the office the following morning.  That week, we recommend no heavy lifting, bending over, or strenous activity.  On day 7, all of the stitches come out, you can start using makeup and we allow you to start working out.  The problem with day 7 is that you are still swollen and bruised.  This is what usually takes another 7 days to resolve. 

Mike Majmundar, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

You can expect to have minimal bruising and swelling for around 1-2 weeks postoperatively.  It can vary patient to patient.  We do want patients up and moving after surgery and your pain should be minimal.  In regards to recovery it is not bad at all!  Best of luck! 

Lower Facelift Recovery Time

I suggest you consult a board certified facial plastic surgeon to receive the highest quality knowledge, treatment, care and skill available. A consultation provides you the opportunity to relay your concerns and desired outcome to the surgeon while the surgeon can assess your health profile and discuss his/her pertinent advice.

Recovery time for lower facelift - like any procedure - may vary slightly based on the surgeon, patient and scope of work performed. Find an educated, experienced doctor who specializes on just faces because all of their time and resources are dedicated to this specialty. Ask where your procedure will be performed to ensure that your surgeon only operates in an accredited surgical facility or at a hospital.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

1-2 weeks

After a lower facelift, your recovery time would be 7-10 days depending upon the extent of the work required. In order to look good for special events, it may take a few weeks more.

Brian K. Machida, MD, FACS
Ontario Facial Plastic Surgeon