What is Recovery Time on Lower Facelift?

Plan A Two Week Recovery After Lower Face And Neck Lift

Thank you for your question.  Recovery time varies greatly between patients and among different surgeons.

However I advise my patients to plan a 2 week recovery following lower facelift and neck lift surgery.  Although you will feel well and able to be up and around and go for walks the first 2-3 days after surgery you will have swelling and bruising especially in the neck which can take 2 weeks to resolve.  Many patients after 5-6 days will apply makeup to cover the bruising and be comfortable going back to a non-lifting or non-stressful job.

However I think its best plan a 2 week recovery.  In addition for you to look normal and feel comfortable for an important social event such as a wedding or photography session I would plan on waiting 6 weeks.

Healing After Your Facelift Surgery

I'm linking to a page on my site that addresses healing after your facial plastic surgery, in detail.
Healing times after a facelift vary from patient to patient. Things that effect healing include surgical technique, the type of surgery (i.e. Facelift ) that is performed, the patient’s medical history and overall health, how well patients follow the pre and postoperative instructions (i.e. Avoiding alcohol and medications/supplements that promote bruising), and the patient’s normal tendency to bruise easily. Unfortunately, there are no absolute rules when it comes to healing. What I try to do is give my patients averages based my own patients. I find that the majority of the signs of surgery (i.e. How patients look the day after my facelift techniques) have improved 70-80% in the first 7 days. It is very common that patients feel ready and comfortable to go out in public with concealer and make-up on at that time (sometimes sooner). By 2 weeks, 80-90% of the signs of surgery are usually improved. There is still some healing that goes on for another few months that is very often flattering but unrealistic when it comes to the judging the final results. I personally feel most comfortable critiquing the results I achieve for my patients at 3 months or later and believe that the after pictures at that time are most credible when appreciating how amazing things will look for the long term.

Mark Karolak, DO, FAOCO
Bridgewater Facial Plastic Surgeon

2-3 weeks

Most early recovery is done in 7-10 days in a routine lower facelift. Patients feel pretty good in 3 weeks.  However it takes about 6 months to achieve final result.  Lot of patince is required during this period of healing.

Vasdev Rai, MD

How long do I need to recover from my facelift?

Facelifts are an incredible procedure as it can turn back the hands of time.  One of the most common questions I get is how long the recovery is for a facelift. 

The easiest way to answer this question is to go through the process, as there are different levels of recovery and what a person can do after the surgery.  First, I typically do my facelifts under general anesthesia so patients will need to go home with someone that can care for them the first night.  All of the patients come back to the office the day after their surgery so that I can remove the face wrap that they left the surgery center with after their facelift. 

After the first day patient will have a simple band placed that will help support the neck and minimize the swelling.  This band can be removed for showering.  All patients can shower the day after their surgery after I have seen them in the office. 

The first week after surgery patients will need to relax and avoid any strenuous activity.  I want patients to walk several times per day, but they need to avoid heaving lifting and strenuous activity, as these activities will increase their risk of issue after their surgery.  The first week patients tend to be swollen and bruised through out the face and neck area. 

After the first week patients can use cover-up makeup if they still have some residual bruising.  They will also still have some sutures hidden the hair and behind the ear.  The sutures on the face itself are typically removed prior to the one-week mark. 

Typically by two weeks all of the bruising has resolved and the majority of the swelling has subsided.  Patients are still healing but are doing very well at this point. 

Patients need to be about six weeks out from surgery before they return to their normal work out routines or any strenuous activity.  However they still need to be careful with sun exposure.

I hope this give you a little outline about the typical recovery course for face and neck lift with fat transfer.  Please consult your board certified plastic surgeon to help guide you through the process.  

Recovery Time for a Lower Facelift

A neck lift is similar to a mini facelift and the recovery is not a lot different between the two.  Similar incisions are made unless an incision under the chin is done as well.  The work done under the skin to tighten the muscles may be just as extensive as a regular facelift depending upon the surgeon and what need to be done to get good results.

Recovery from any facelift or necklift is somewhat variable depending upon the individual and the extent of surgery that is done.  A limited or mini facelift or simple necklift may have slight shorter times than I mention here but not always.  There are three parts to "recovery":

1. True recovery or time back up on your feet and able to go for a walk or get things done.  This should be no more than a day or two.
  2. Downtime or the time for the swelling and bruising to pass so that you can go out with some makeup on and not have people look aghast.  This is usually 7 to 10 days but may be a little longer depending upon you and the extent of the procedure.
  3. Time for healing.  I tell all my patients that all of the swelling is usually gone at 3 months and 80% of it is gone at 3 weeks.  Bruising can last up to 3 weeks.  Small lumps and bumps that can occasionally form may be 3 to 6 months before they are completely gone. The scars will be red and thick for up to a year.

Facelift and neck lift surgery can be transformative however and most of these problems are pretty minor.

I hope that helps and if it does please give it and up vote at the top right at the "report' button.  Thanks.

Best regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

What is Recovery time on lower facelift?

Although recovery time varies between patients, most patients are able to be socially active at 10 days to 2 weeks.  The swelling after lower facelift surgery is greatest in the first few days after surgery and then rapidly diminishes. Most, if not all, sutures are removed by 7-10 days.  Incisions are usually healing well by two weeks and require little care.  Although there will be some minor areas of swelling for several weeks, this should not affect your ability to return to work and  most activities.

John Zavell, MD, FACS
Toledo Plastic Surgeon

Recovery Time After Lower Facelift

Healing after a lower facelift depends on a number of different factors including technique, skin condition, health and smoking history.  On average, two weeks is a good estimate for most of the healing to occur and when one can resume non-strenuous activities. However, sensation changes, bruising, healing of the incision and minor swelling can sometimes take additional weeks to months longer.

Carlo P. Honrado, MD, FACS

Facelift Recovery

It is important to realize that the amount of time it takes to recover from facelift surgery varies greatly between individuals. Elevation of the head is extremely helpful in reducing the initial Postoperative swelling. You may also be advised to use ice packs intermittently.

You should avoid Aspirin and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications for the first few days after your surgery. Smoking and exposure to second-hand smoke should be avoided to prevent delays in the healing process.

Once the dressings and drains are removed, puffiness and discoloration may be more pronounced in some portions of the face than others. Do not be alarmed by any unevenness or temporary asymmetry. This is normal. Most swelling is usually noted in the first 24 to 48 hours, and most bruising resolves within two weeks. Concealing makeup is usually permitted after the first week. You may experience numbness to the face postoperatively, which usually resolves within several months.

Some patients find that mild swelling persists for many weeks. Most stitches are removed within a week of the.

Of course, many of our modern mini facelifts, such as the MACS facelift, allow patients to literally be back in public or work in as little as three days with little or no bruising!

Straining, bending and lifting should be avoided during the early postoperative period as these activities may predispose you to bleeding.

We will give you specific instructions that may include caring for the dressings and incisions, directions for your analgesics and other medications, specific concerns to look for, and when to follow up in the office to monitor your healing process. It may take several months for the swelling to fully resolve, and up to six months for the incision scars to fully fade. Avoidance of factors that could reduce the benefits of the surgery, such as excessive unprotected sun exposure and cigarette use, is vital. Best of luck!

Dhaval M. Patel 

Double Board Certified 

Plastic Surgeon 

Hoffman Estates 

Barrington

Oakbrook 

Chicago 

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Mini Lifts Have Shorter Recovery Times

In my practice, a “mini lift” is designed to counteract recent aging and sagging of the neck and lower face. The area is lifted, excess skin is removed, and the jawline is accentuated to give a more defined and youthful look. Generally, this is done in a patient who still has fairly elastic, good-quality skin and has only light sagging. Because it is a less aggressive procedure, requiring less pull than a traditional facelift, the recovery time is relatively quick. The procedure is performed with light, local anesthesia while the patient is awake. For the first week after surgery, the patient will wear a light wrap around the face and will clean the incisions twice daily. After a week, the stitches are removed and it's possible to be out and about in public and even to wear light makeup. After two weeks, most activities – excluding vigorous exercise – can be resumed. Schedule a consult with a board-certified facial plastic surgeon to find out how a mini lift can have a positive impact on your life.

Facelift recovery time

Recovery time after facelifts vary with the patient.  On average, recovery is 14 days.  The first day, the patient can go home or spend the night.  He or she will have a dressing around their head to hold the neck skin up and the patient comes back to the office the following morning.  That week, we recommend no heavy lifting, bending over, or strenous activity.  On day 7, all of the stitches come out, you can start using makeup and we allow you to start working out.  The problem with day 7 is that you are still swollen and bruised.  This is what usually takes another 7 days to resolve. 

Mike Majmundar, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon