Rasping a Residual Bump, What to Expect?

Hello,I am currently 6 months post op,and almost all of my swelling has gone down.I'm starting to notice a tiiny bump where my old big bump used to be (midline),other than that my nose is fine.I was wondering how difficult would it be to rasp this small bump down? Is it an office procedure with local anaesthesia? Or would I have to go under General anaesthesia again or have osteotomies again? I'll be travelling to see my surgeon next month and I just want to know what to expect.

Thank you for your question..

If you are unhappy with the look of your nose, you think that you would be much happier after a rhinoplasty operation; if you had an accident and the shape of your nose got worsened after this accident; then you can be a good candidate for rhinoplasty operation. It is a well-known fact that individuals with feeling themselves beautiful have higher self-esteem. Therefore; if the look or functionality of your nose bothers you, you can get benefit from a rhinoplasty operation.

Preparation :

Rhinoplasty operation is performed under general anesthesia and it takes to perform the procedure nearly 1 hour. You will be advised not to eat 6 hours before the surgery and that is all! You will get a physical examination by your surgeon and anesthetist. After the examination; we will prepare you for the surgery. You will receive a sedation in order to reduce the preoperative anxiety and fell yourself more comfortable.

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Nasal rasp

AS the bones heal, there sometimes are irregularities that develop as a result of healing or were cmaouflaged during the swelling period. This sometimes can be treated in an office setting under local or mild sedation. It is individualized for each patient.

Simple rasping of a residual bump in revision rhinoplasty

It's very frustrating not only for the patient but also for the surgeon when, after making the bridge of the nose incredibly smooth by the end of the operation,one sees a small residual bump occur that does not go away with time. Unfortunately, we all have to heal after a rhinoplasty. We are not like a a piece of wood, which, when carved, stays exactly as we left it! We are biologic beings and our tissues must heal. Sometimes a bony callus forms in the healing phase creating a bump; sometimes, soft tissue does not shrink down; sometime a well-placed graft migrates. But, when the bump is minimal, it can usually easily be rasped under local anesthesia

Russell W. H. Kridel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty revision

The "tiny hump" you are notcing now could be bone, cartilage or even soft tissue. Have your surgeon examine you and decide what it is, then discuss a plan of action. If it is bone it can be rasped under local anesthesia, provided this does not create an open roof.

Rhinoplasty touchup without general anesthesia

Dear Alexandria9110

The really difficult part after a rhinoplasty is to watch the changes with patience and then anticipate how those changes may change over time.  (over the year)

If you did need to have the small bump "rasped" or (maybe camouflaged in a different way),

you can usually choose whether you have a light sedation or not.  

Even osteotomies can be safely and comfortably performed without general anesthesia,

but your surgeon and you can make the decision together. 

Best wishes. Dr. T

Travis T. Tollefson, MD, MPH
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon