Is there no surgery that can pull up and back across the cheek and nasolabial fold a slight facelift?

or can filling the cheek with fat slightly accomplish this> thanks

Doctor Answers 22

Facelift and facial rejuvenation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
#facelift and #facialrejuvenation

there are three areas that we look at:
  1. skin surface
  2. volume
  3. laxity of skin an muscle
These can all be addressed for you to get some rejuvenation. What procedure to perform is assessed on an individual basis. It sounds like you are looking for subtle results which may be achieved with non-surgical methods such as botox, fillers. 

Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 116 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Rejuvenating the upper face is always an individualized process. Most of the time this can be accomplished in an outpatient setting in just a couple hours time. Adding volume to the upper face and cheek with fat from the abdomen or flanks in combination with a mini faelift this can safely and effectively change your appearance naturally. 

Timothy Treece, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 24 reviews

Mid face lift

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your question. Facial fillers designed for deep placement in the cheek area can be a great, non-surgical place to start. Cheek filler can uplift the cheeks/nasolabial folds  and are not permanent. Fat grafting to the area is also a possibility and potentially a mid-face lift.

I recommend that you book an in-person consultation with a board certified Plastic Surgeon so that they may examine you and discuss your best options with you.

All the best!

Cheek lift

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hi danac555,

Providing some pictures would have been advantageous in providing a better recommendation. Despite that, I think that you can accomplish what you want with a mini-facelift or facelift, depending on how your neck is aging. Also volume to the cheeks in the form of injectable (Voluma) or fat graft can also achieve a similar result in elevating the cheeks. Seek a consult with a board certified Facial Plastic Surgeon.

Hope this helps,
Dr. Gus Diaz
Double Board Certified in Facial Plastic Surgery.

Gustavo A. Diaz, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
The best option to accomplish what you are decribing is a facelift.  A "mini" facelift is usually very successful in the right candidate, and over 80% of the facelifts I do are mini (or minimal incision facelift).

John Zannis, MD
New Bern Plastic Surgeon
4.4 out of 5 stars 62 reviews

Upper facelift

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
What you are describing is an upper or mid-facelift.  It can be accomplished surgically or with fillers or with your own fat.  Consider a "vampire facelift" where the filler material is mixed with your own stems cells using a blood draw in the office, and centrifuge to harvest them from the blood.  This puts your stem cells with the filler material exactly where you want it for volume and collagen building potential. 
Fat grafting is also excellent because fat also carries the best stem cells in the body.  Overlying skin quality improves as volume is restored underneath where you need it in the cheeks, nasolabial folds and sometimes lips.

Semira Bayati, MD, FACS
Orange County Plastic Surgeon

Is there no surgery that can pull up and back across the cheek and nasolabial fold a slight facelift?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
  Hi, there is but it entails shaping the cheek and face.  This could mean removing excess facial fat and reshaping the cheeks with a dermal filler (I prefer Perlane now called Restylane Lyft) or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement.  Hope this helps.  

Francis R. Palmer, III, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 28 reviews

Midface lift

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for the question.    Soft tissue fillers and mid-face lift can likely give results that you are suggesting.   Fat grafting is also an option.    Photos would be necessary to provide more definitive answers to your question.   But, yes... there IS a surgery that can lift the cheeks and nasolabial folds.   

Joseph Franklin, MD
Durham Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 8 reviews

Mid Facelift

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Photos or an in person consultation would be required to know exactly what could provide you with the result you are looking for. If your concern is loss of volume, structural fat grafting could restore a youthful fullness. If your concern is lax skin, perhaps a mid facelift, or perhaps a combination of both. View many before and after photos photos to check the quality of a plastic surgeon's work and attention to detail in their results. Facial rejuvenation surgery should leave people looking younger, refreshed and natural.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 123 reviews

Surgery that can pull up and back across the cheek and nasolabial fold a slight facelift?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
There are a number of surgical and non-surgical options that can improve one's cosmetic appearance: fillers, skin-tightening procedures, lasers, fat contouring, mini-lifts, mid-face lifts, neck and face lifts. Each has benefits and drawbacks. Mini procedures, while beneficial in the appropriate patient, do not produce the long lasting maximum improvement that is achieved with a natural appearing artistically performed lift performed by an expert experienced plastic surgeon. The best result is often achieved by a combination of elevating the sagging tissues, removing the excess skin, contouring the fat, and adding micro-fat grafts or fillers where there is a deficiency.

Keep in mind, that following the exact advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do based without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of the proposed operative procedure may not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 22 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.