Can I have filler in my lips and Botox in my face when autoimmune disease

I really would like filler in my lips and some Botox Around my eyes and forehead, but I have a autoimmune disease called wegener granulomatosis witch has effected my nose Is it safe to have this done many thanks

Botox and Autoimmune Disorders

Thanks for your question!  I like to have my patients with autoimmune disorders get clearance from their rheumatologist prior to have any sort of botox or filler injections.  Also, depending on the disease process, I don't like to perform injections during a 'flare' period.  Best of luck!

Hi there, with most autoimmune diseases you can do Botox and filler with no worries at all. Definitely seek out a board certified dermatologist with appropriate training. Tell them what autoimmune disease specifically and if you have had any complications at all. Your overall general health will be taken into account. I would recommend hyaluronic acid fillers for your lips, specifically Juvederm. I am very comfortable injecting my patients with most autoimmune diseases. Good luck, Dr. Downie

Jeanine B. Downie, MD
Montclair Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox and FIllers in Autoimmune patients

Typically there is no contraindication for use of Botox or Fillers in patients with most Autoimmune diseases. However I always ask my patients to first speak with their rheumatologist prior to starting treatment.

Pamela Stuart, MD
San Jose Physician

Injectables for a patient with autoimmune disease

Thank you for your question. I certainly understand your concern and so speaking with your rheumatologist is the first place to start. My patients that have autoimmune diseases commonly receive Hyaluronic Acid fillers like Juvederm and neuromodulators like Botox safely, but I always suggest that they speak with their treating doctors first.  So once you receive the green light from your Rheumatologist make an appointment with an experienced injector in your community.

Isaac Starker, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Botox and Fillers in Autoimmune Disease

I would avoid permanent or semi permanent fillers but there should be no problems otherwise if your rheumatologist agrees.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Autoimmune disease/Botox and fillers

Treating with Botox should be no problem with regard to your autoimmune disease.  Most fillers for lips also would be well-tolerated as they are basically a hyaluronic acid product that does not stimulate collagen production..  I would see a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon who is well experienced in these type of injections for analysis and a plan.  I would then check the plan with your autoimmune doctor before proceeding.  I believe you will be fine with this approach.  Dr. Adrienne Stewart MD  FAA D

Adrienne E. Stewart, MD
Denver Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip fillers and Botox

louLou.  There should be no problem with fillers and Botox but I would check with your rheumatologist or internist first. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Autoimmune Disease, Fillers, and Botox

Your specific response/reaction to Botox and fillers may be different than another person with Wegener's. Are you prone to flares? Has your dosage of medication been increasing or has your regimen had to change due to inefficacy? If so, Botox and fillers may not be worth the price you would have to pay with your body. I think it would be prudent to discuss this with your rheumatologist before you consider proceeding. If you do proceed, I would stick with hyaluronic acid fillers as they will likely be less inflammatory than a collagen-based filler. I believe it would also be paramount for your injector to avoid injecting big deposits/blobs of filler at one site and to make sure the filler is thinly distributed. With good technique, hopefully the filler will be more easily accepted by your body and perhaps less likely to cause necrosis/skin death by interfering with your already tenuous vasculature.

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

Use of Fillers and Botox with a History of Autoimmune Disease

Thank you for your excellent question.  In general, use of Botox and a hyaluronic acid filler such as Juvederm is not contraindicated with a history of Wegener's Granulomatosis.  I would recommend that you first see for Internal Medicine doctor for clearance.  When you are ready, please be sure to see an expert injector for an in-person consultation to review your medical history and to discuss your goals and expectations in order to determine the best treatment plan.  Hope this helps and best wishes! 

Fillers and Botox with Wegners

Fillers and Botox are fine with your disease. One caveat, I would not use a collagen stimulating filler such as Sculptra or Bellafill, and probably not Radiesse (in any area of the face, particularly the lips). It is possible to create an exaggerated immune response to these fillers and possibly a granuloma. Also, with immunosuppression, your response might be muted as well. Stick with the HA fillers for the face and lips. I only use HA fillers in the lips in all patients.

Steven F. Weiner, MD