Double vision (diplopia) after botox injection. (photo)

Last time, about 3 weeks ago, after botox (Linurse, Prollenium Medical Technologies) I got double vision. I look quite well, no wrinkles, but I can not live normally: can not read, can not drive, can not even walk. Is there any treatment / procedures that could help my recovery? I am 65 years old but healthy and about 10 years younger looking. Is it possible my age to be a contraindication for cosmetic botox treatment?

Double vision after Botox

Thank you for your question vgorinova. I am sorry to hear about your sitation. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expression. Common areas of treatment are around the eyes. If the Botox spreads to the muscles that move the eye, it can result in blurred vision or double vision. For my patients I recommend avoiding heat exposure, alcohol consumption, and strenuous exercise for 24 hours after a treatment and avoiding lying flat for 4 hours after a treatment. These things can cause movement of the Botox and lead to side effects. Most people enjoy the results of their treatment for 3-4 months. By this time all effects, intended effects and side effects, are usually back to baseline. Please follow up with your doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Encino Physician

Double vision after botox

It is difficult from one photograph to perfectly assess your situation. But it appears that your right eye is not moving to the side. This would mean that some of the Botox ( I am not familiar with the product you received, linurse) migrated into the lateral rectus muscle which turns your right eye out. Because the eyes aren't aligned you have double vision. The Injector must have gotten too close to eye on that side or the Botox just migrated. I would recommend seeing an ophthalmologist just to make sure nothing else is going on, it could unrelated to the injection. Your age is not a contraindication to the treatment.

Byron A. Long, MD
Marietta Oculoplastic Surgeon