Which product has less of a health risk: Dysport or Botox?

Which is safer?

Dysport and Botox are both safe and FDA approved. They both have been used for years and are very effective at reducing wrinkles and lines. They both have the same risk profile and choosing an experienced and qualified injector is also a key to get a good outcome. 

Botox vs. Dysport

Hi Mechta007,

Botox and Dysport have both been used safely and effectively for many years. I would not consider either of them to have a higher health risk. However, there are other factors that might lead your injector to choose one product over the other, so it's important to have a full consultation and health history review prior to getting a treatment.

David W. Kim, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox Versus Dysport

Both products have been found to be quite safe and I really wouldn't put one ahead of the other in terms of health and safety. If you are still concerned with potential health risks, you could ask for Xeomin, which is billed as the "pure botox." The reason Xeomin is called this is due to the fact that it is the only neuromodulator without any added proteins.  Xeomin does not have the added proteins based on the idea that there would be less risk for potential allergies by removing the added proteins that the others contain. Conversely, there is some thought that the added proteins in Dysport and Botox enable it to work better and last longer. Of course the choice is up to you, but I can tell you that none of these pose any notable health risks.

Dennis Gross, MD

Botox and Dysport

Both Botox and Dysport are widely used and have been tested and deemed safe to use.  I would suggest consultation with an experienced injector.  There are certain medical conditions that make any neurotoxin unsafe.  So you need to review your medical history with your doctor.  Good Luck.

Jessica Lattman, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Dysport Versus Botox

Both have been well-researched and been deemed safe for use. Dysport and Botox are used equally. I recommend getting a formal consultation with a cosmetic dermatologist to determine what treatments are right for you. Best, Dr. Emer

Safety of Botulinum toxins

There are a total of 4 botulinum toxins on the market including Botox, Dysport, Xeomin and Myobloc.  They all do the same thing of paralyzing the muscle in which they are injected and rarely they can spread to neighboring muscles, especially if the dose was high or because of other factors.  Botox has been around for the past 30 years or so and has an excellent track record of safety in professional medical hands.  There has been no major concerns with repeated injections other than possibly losing effectiveness with large doses (more than 100 units at a time), generally used for Neurological purposes.  While contraindicated during pregnancy, inadvertent use has not resulted in documented adverse outcome in medical literature.  Most practitioners are aware of an uneven spread of Dysport compared to Botox or Xeomin and the latter two are more popular choices for cosmetic purposes.  Dysport and Myobloc seems to have primary indication in neurolgical conditions such as dystonia.

Health risk with Botox or Dysport?

There is essentially no significant difference between the 2 products. The injection of these neuromodulators is extremely safe and there are millions of procedures per year worldwide. If there were significant complications from these products, it would be known by now. I wouldn't have concerns getting either one of these injections.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

All the currently FDA approved cosmetic botulinum toxin have exactly the same safety profile.

Overall, these are extremely safe and profoundly well studied products.  While the products are not bio-equivalent, that related to issues with dosing.  The safety profile and clinical response to these drugs is essentially identical.  Be aware that all of these products have whisper campaigns to suggest that one product is better or worse than another.  There is just no truth to these campaigns.  For all practical purposes, these products are all equally safe and not a single one seems to be better, safer or more effective than another.  Injectors have preferences for one or another of these products related to their relationship to the companies and other factors that have nothing to do with product safety.