Effects of a neck lift vs. laser treatment of neck area. Any suggestions?

I am a 69-year-old female who is considering a neck lift. I had a facelift 8 yrs. ago, and don't feel I need another. But my neck skin really sags. I need to know how long a neck lift lasts, vs. how long treatment w/a lasers lasts -- and how much improvement I can expect from each kind of treatment. My plastic surgeon told me that I have very good skin. I have never smoked, and I get very little sun exposure. Also, I am in good health, generally. Thank you.

Neck Lift Is Superior to Non-surgical Skin Tightening

Nothing can beat a good neck lift to permanently tighten excess neck skin and clean up the jawline. Nonsurgical laser and ultrasound treatments may give some benefits, but they are not dramatic and must be repeated to keep the good results. A neck lift is a relatively noninvasive procedure compared with a full rhytidectomy and will give you a smoother, tighter neck plus a sharper, more youthful jawline. Results should last from five to eight years. You might also consider a touch-up facelift instead, as that will give an even more dramatic improvement that can last up to ten years. I hope this helps.

Due for another facelift

Thanks for asking.  At your age and 8 years after a facelift it is reasonable that you may need another facelift/necklift to tighten things up.  Many times the second lift is easier to undergo than the primary as less work may be required. Continue to discuss with your plastic surgeon or also others to review your candidacy.

Raymond E. Lee, MD

Neck Lifts last 5-10 yrs roughly and are so worth it.

It is so easy to undergo a good necklift under local and makes such a great improvement. Lasers to tighten skin of the neck are so disappointing and almost worthless in many cases.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Neck Lift Skin -- Botox, Lymphatic Massage, Hyperbaric Oxygen, Ultherapy, Venus Legacy

If you are in need of a neck lift there is nothing that will replace the results.  I suggest you see an expert who does combination treatments to get the best outcome.  Dr. Emer.

May need both face and necklift

If you had a previous facelift, it's possible that you may need a facelift as well as a neck lift. If your skin sags as much as you indicate, laser is unlikely to help. See a qualified surgeon for evaluation.

Brian K. Machida, MD, FACS
Ontario Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck lift optimizes neck appearance

Hi Judith.  Thank you for your question. Photos would have been helpful, but nonetheless, generally speaking, a neck lift will last for years (like your facelift).  Laser treatments are tightening existing skin but as your skin ages, the effect will be lost, and so the treatments need to be repeated.  A surgical lift removes excess tissue and repositions tissue, the laser will address the quality of your skin and provide a shrink wrap effect, instead of true lifting.  Good luck!

Neck lift vs laser treatment of the neck

Each individual's face and neck lift results will last different amounts of time.  It would be nice to say the a person's face and neck lift will last ten years but the reality is that the clock only stops ticking during surgery.  It then resumes immediately after the surgery is complete. Everyone clock ticks at a little different pace.  So someone that had advanced facial aging for their age may continue to age after surgery at a slightly more rapid pace.  Surgery only removes excess tissue and skin with some redraping but it doesn't actually treat the skin that remains behind.  Everyone's skin quality is different. 

So the best option is to visit with surgeon that has non surgical and surgical options. It is possible that a revision neck lift may need to be performed.  Or the remaining skin may need to be treated with non surgical options, such as ultherapy, Smartskin fractionated CO2 laser, or other lasers. Treatment should be individualized. 

Best of luck to you.

Treatment of sagging neck skin?

If your problem is excess skin of the neck then you need a facelift which includes the neck and lower cheek. Otherwise you will end up with a "pucker" of the skin if only the neck is done. See a very experienced facelift surgeon.

Neck lift with skin removal

In our practice, a neck lift does not include skin removal, only fat removal above and below the platysma muscle and a platysma plasty. A neck lift is usually performed on patient's in their 30s and 40s. When patients have loose/ Sagging skin in the neck, a lower face and neck lift is required, especially in patients who are in their late 60s. It is very important to address tightening loose facial and neck skin, tightening loose facial and neck muscles, and removing any fatty deposits in the neck in order to rejuvenate the neck itself.  It is very important to choose  your surgeon very wisely based on producing natural results. For many examples and more information, please see the link and the video below