Can Juvederm Voluma make my acne scar look worse?

I had juvederm voluma injected in a acne scar on my forehead. It made the scar look worse and then made some other scars near that one look a lot worse too. If u get this dissolved will it make everything go back to how it looked before? Or am I stuck with these deeper looking scars now? Obviously my injector did not know what he was doing and I want to go some where else to get this dissolved. Waste of money

Voluma & acne scars

Not all acne scars can be treated with Voluma. Without assessing you in person, impossible to say if this is the case with you but given your description, I would say "yes". Go ahead and have the Voluma dissolved. So sorry that you've had a bad experience. 

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Voluma and acne scarring

voluma wouldn't be my first choice for filling acne scars and you would have to pick the right scar to treat with fillers. I suggest you see an expert that specializes in acne scarring treatment.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Voluma for facial volumization may not be the answer for acne scar improvement in my NYC practice

Some acne scars are tethered or bound down to the underlying tissue so much that fillers don't work. When evaluating my patients with acne scars, I stretch the skin out and see if the scar lifts, and if it doesn't I know that if I want to do a filler, I would at least need to do subcision to break up those attachments. Otherwise the filler will not lift the scar and it will spread out to the sides of the scar and lift the surrounding scar which creates a greater height difference between the mountain of the normal adjacent skin and the valley of the scar's depression, making the scar look worse.

Acne scars that don't respond well to this test, are better treated by multiple Fraxel laser resurfacing treatments or a solitary Fraxel Repair laser resurfacing.

The information provided in Dr. Shelton's answer is for educational purposes only and is not intended to constitute medical advice. The information provided should not be relied upon as a substitute for consultations with a qualified health professional who may be familiar with your individual medical needs.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Acne Scar

Thank you for your question. Voluma in of itself shouldn't make your scar look worse. It is possible there is swelling, since you haven't mentioned the time frame, which may resolve and the area looking better. The skin of the forehead is thin and Voluma is quite thick. If you are dissatisfied then you can have Vitrase injected which should return things to normal
Best of Luck
DrG

Lee A. Gibstein, MD

Vitrase can help

Vitrase (hyaluronidase) can be used to dissolve the Voluma.
You can also try massage to smooth out irregularities.