Does cheek filler dissolve? (photo)

Hello I had cheek filler 6 years ago ,I m not sure if it' was authentic Hyaluronic Acid I had ,now on my right cheek I can still touch there is some tissue under my skin ,left cheek is better.my cheek look not natural too much voluma ,and sometimes my right cheek skin gets sensitive it's itchy get red,Does it can be dissolved ?help Thanks

Cheek filler after 6 years

It is still possible that the filler is there. Yes, hyaluronidase can be used to dissolve it. It will only work if it was an HA. Please see a board certified physician for this.

Dissolving Voluma

In general, Voluma only lasts 2 years but every patient is different. Assuming that what is in your cheeks is Voluma or another HA based product (not Sculptra) then yes, it can be dissolved. Schedule an appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss. 

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Voluma is not a permanent filler

There may be different reasons for residual swelling or volume after a filler should have been dissolved. Voluma is usually dissolved around two years. I doubt it is still present at six years
1. Immune reaction causing a secondary inflammatory swelling.  This is very rare with Voluma
2. impure Voluma, or not Voluma.  A different filler may have been used with longer term duration but less safety than Voluma
3. Infection. There are rare cases that a filler can get infected after dental procedures by bacteria spreading through the blood stream from the trauma on the gums or oral mucosa.

I doubt that the enzyme, hyaluronidase, will decrease swelling if it is present at six years after Voluma as the voluma molecules are probably dissolved.

The information provided in Dr. Shelton's answer is for educational purposes only and is not intended to constitute medical advice. The information provided should not be relied upon as a substitute for consultations with a qualified health professional who may be familiar with your individual medical needs.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Cheek Filler and Dissolving it

I would highly doubt that you had a hyaluronic acid filler that is lasting six years.  Even Voluma doesn't last more than two years. I would try to get your medical records and ascertain what product what is injected into your cheeks.  Please consult an expert. Best, Dr. Green

Voluma

Thank you for your question in regards to Voluma. Swelling, bruising and tenderness are common when using fillers and can last up to two weeks. If Voluma was used, hyaluronidase can be used to dissolve the filler. It is suggested to wait for all swelling to subside before dissolving the filler. To be sure what is best for you, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment. I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Best Facial Filler Dissolver

Hi Pearl,

It would be extremely rare for a hyaluronic acid filler to last for 6 years.  Voluma is currently the longest lasting HA filler in the US, it is thought to last for about 2 years. Hyaluronidase injections will dissolve HA fillers so it may be worth a try.  Best for you to consult with a facial filler expert for examination and possible treatment.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cheek Augmentation With Fillers, Fat, Sculptra, Implants

If they are hyaluronic acid fillers they can be reversed.  If they are not it depends on the type of filler if it can be removed. I suggest seeing an expert for a consultation.  Best, Dr. Emer.