Will cutting out internal scar under areola post Gynecomastia surgery create a similar scar?

Hello, I had gynecomastia surgery 6 months ago. I've received a few low dose steroid injections. The first one helped but the last 2 have had minimal effect. My nipples looked good right after surgery but now the scar tissue is tethering them in a bit and negatively impacts the shape of my chest a little bit. There is definitely very minimal gland left, it's all scar tissue. Typically if a small incision is made and the scar tissue is removed, will you get the same result in scar growth? Thanks

Post-Op Gynecomastia Scarring

Following surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Since your scar growth may be specific to the procedure you had, it would likely be best to visit your own surgeon to have the area evaluated and make sure what would be best to help with final scar maturing. Remember that the best way to appreciate results of any cosmetic surgery is to have moderate expectations. Good luck to you.

Some pictures would be very helpful.  It sounds like you could have some scar tethering your nipple to the chest wall.  Fat injections may be indicated.  See what your surgeon has to say.  

Jeffrey D. Wagner, MD

Scarr tissue and tethering of the areola

It seems that you may have had over resection of your gland and are now developing a divot under your areola. This can be fixed some fat grafting. A picture would be helpful to give you a definitive diagnosis. Please see examples below.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Gynecomastia and scar

It is difficult to say what would benefit you without seeing you in person.  Best to discuss with your surgeon. Good luck.