Did my beard transplant hairs dry up and die? (Photo)

I had a 1,500 fue neograft beard transplant. I washed my face twice daily with Johnson and Johnson head to toe baby wash for 7 days until I started to gently massage the scabs. During that time my skin became dry because I naturally have dry skin. I was told not to use any lotion on my face. From days 8-12 all of the transplanted hairs have shed with most of the being attached to to the crusts. I'm extremely concerned that my dry skin ruined my transplant.

8 days post-op beard transplant; hair fell out...are they dead?

Thank you for posting this question. As with any elective cosmetic surgery, questions regarding post-operative issues and concerns are always best directed to the physician who performed the surgery. Your physician knows exactly what happened during the procedure, and is professionally and morally bound to be helpful and provide information and opinions as the final results take shape.

That being said, it is unlikely that your hairs have died, and more likely that they are just shedding.  However, it's not possible to tell without an in-person physical examination.

I am hopeful this information is helpful to you.

Atlanta Hair Restoration Surgeon

Beard Transplant

I wouldn't say that this is anything to be alarmed about. It is totally normal for the transplanted hairs to shed along with the scabs after the 1st week or so. However it never hurts to consult with your doctor as a follow up whenever you have any concerns. I hope this helps.

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair falling out with scabs after procedure is normal

What you are describing is a normal process after hair transplant to the beard area or any other.  The hair shaft, but not the actually follicle, will shed and fall out.  Don't be concerned if you don't see any hair growth for quite some time (months).  This is also quite normal. It can take up to one year for you to see the final results of any procedure.  Hang in there.

Grant Stevens, MD

NeoGraft Shedding

The shedding you are experiencing is right on track with the NeoGraft process. Our patients typically experience shedding once the hairs have been in place on their head for two to three weeks. The timetable may be shorter for the beards so just as NeoGraft patients with head transplants wait 3-4 months after shedding for hair regrowth, you too are likely to experience the same process albeit in a shorter timetable.

I suggest you consult a board certified facial plastic surgeon because the board certified credential ensures you receive the highest quality knowledge, treatment, care and skill available. A consultation provides you the opportunity to relay your concerns and desired outcome to the surgeon while the surgeon can assess your health profile and discuss his/her pertinent advice.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

"shedding"

What you are describing sounds like the hairs falling out - not follicles.  This is a common (and expected) phenomenon.  I would not be concerned based on the story you provided.

Tim Neavin, MD

If the hair follicles have died, it probably was not due to "dry skin".

It is not clear that really happened.  There may be many reasons for hair transplant beard transplant failure. If the hair follicles have died, it probably was not due to "dry skin".  It is best you follow up with your doctor for a recheck.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Shedding after beard transplant

it is normal for the transplanted hair shaft to fall off after ten days. However the follicles remain under the skin and will start to grow in after three to four months. 

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

Beard transplant grafts

The grafts after any hair transplant fall out post-operatively.  What you are seeing is the hair and the skin that encompasses the graft that was transplanted.  The cells that produce the subsequent future hair growth have not fallen out.  The hair cells go into a dormant phase for the next several months (4-5 months) before you begin to see regrowth of the hairs.

Beard Transplant Hairs did not take

It is unclear from your history and photo as to exactly what happened to your grafts, but I don't think dry skin would be the primary cause. 

Properly transplanted hairs should be placed in the dermis where blood supply becomes the major factor in graft survival.  Rarely graft rejection for unknown reasons can occur. Adding growth factors such as PRP during transplant can be helpful in avoiding complications like this. 

You should follow up with the doctor who did your transplant.  

Ryan Welter, MD
Boston Hair Restoration Surgeon