Can I get sun on the donor site a week post op?

7 days post Neograft. 900 grafts in frontal/temporal hairline. No bleeding, scabs are 50% gone in recipient,90% gone in donor, I have strictly followed post op protocol. Both sites have healed well. Tuesday I return to work and my new haircut has of course exposed more scalp. If I wore a hat, would it be ok to get sun on the back of my head? I feel it would help with concealing the donor site and make the new haircut look better in general. I'm fine waiting but I wanted to check my options.

Getting sun on the donor area following an FUE procedure

Dear Rob19,

Great question.  Following any hair restoration procedure, it's a good idea to stay out of the sun for long periods of time for at least two weeks.  At our practice, I instruct my patients to hold off for a month.  This is to prevent hyperpigmentation (dark spots) or hypopigmentation (light spots) or increased scarring in the areas addressed surgically. As mentioned in other answers, this information should be contained in the post-operative information packet that you should have received with your procedure.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Dear Rob19,

One week after hair transplant surgery is a little soon for direct sun exposure. This may cause pigmentation changes, but more importantly, the heat from the sun will cause some swelling in the grafted areas. Our usual recommendation for direct sun exposure is one month. We allow hats to be worn after five days, and certainly you do not have to remain inside for this period of time.

Thank you for your question and best of luck to you.

Post Neograft Instructions

Hi and thank you for your question!

We suggest no hats for several weeks, at least two, and maybe more depending on how its healing. Additionally, as mentioned below, sun exposure that early after this procedure is not recommended as the area is definitely still healing, could scar or have hyper or hypo pigmentation issues. Best to wait for a month or so.

Glad to hear its healing well!

Dr. Grant Stevens

Post Neograft Instructions

Hi and thank you for your question!

Glad to hear its healing well!

Dr. Grant Stevens

Wear a loose fitting hat

Great Question. It should be ok to get some exposure to the sun and I have had patients in the past that have asked this same question and have had no issue afterwards. It is very important though that you do take precautions, such as wear a loose fitting hat and also sun screen. 

Wear a loose fitting hat

Sun Exposure after NeoGraft

I would avoid any sun exposure for at least a month after NeoGraft.  First and foremost, when you are going to be in the sun, you should always wear sunblock, and you can't put any medicated or chemical topicals onto the implantation site for about 4 weeks.  Of course, a hat is a great solution, however, especially in the immediate post-treatment phase, you don't want to wear a hat that can put any pressure on the implantation sites.  All said, I recommend my patients defer any significant sun exposure or activities that would cause a lot of sweating for about a month, just to be safe. 

Sun Exposure after NeoGraft

Sun Exposure

I would suggest avoiding sun exposure to your scalp to prevent scarring and damage to the donor and recipient areas. A hat is a great way to protect your scalp and avoid  future damage from the sun.

Jack Fisher, MD

Sun Exposure

Jack Fisher, MD

Avoid sun exposure for the first 1-2 weeks after NeoGraft procedure.

I recommend to my patients that they avoid sun exposure for the first 1-2 weeks after having the procedure. Up to one month of sun avoidance is optimal. The reason for avoiding sun exposure is to prevent scarring, dark spots or light spots from developing over the extraction sites. Wearing a hat is an excellent measure to protect your scalp. Generally, you may apply sunscreen to the donor site after 1-2 weeks, but try to keep the recipient site away from sunlight for at least 2 weeks. Always check with your physician and follow their post-operative guidelines for best results.

NeoGraft Recovery

You are right in checking all the options you have. I suggest you remain out of the sun for your NeoGraft recovery and also continue to practice safe sun exposure practices through consistent application of sunblock and wearing covering clothing including hats when you expect to be out in the sun.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

NeoGraft Recovery

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sun on the donor site?

I always instruct my patients to stay out of the sun for the first week or two, but if you have to be in the sun, wear a high SPF sunblock and be sure to not over do it.

Sun on the donor site?

Sun exposure for the donor site after Hair Restoration

It is best to decrease your sun exposure over any newly operated on site - this will help decrease any skin discoloration at the donor site and decrease any type of scarring. After 1 week you can put sunscreen on the donor site and go in the sun or wear a hat/sit in the shade. It takes about 2 weeks, depending on the person, to grow in the donor site and look like a better haircut. Best wishes!