Washing hair after neograft (FUE) surgery...

On Thurs, I got 1500 grafts (FUE) transplanted. Today (Sunday), I showered for the first time. As directed by my doctor, I mixed baby shampoo (maybe too much) into a bowl of water, and then I poured the mixture over my head. Then, I poured a bowl of straight water over my head to rinse. Afterwards, I felt as though some shampoo still remained. (I'm not sure.) I don't know what to do. I'm afraid to pour more water over my head, because what if too much water pouring causes the grafts to dislodge?

Washing your hair

Hi There,This is a very typical concern. There should be nothing to concern yourself about as long as you are very gentle and don't put any direct water pressure on the transplant site for the first few days. We actually provide our patients with an aftercare spray-on shampoo for this reason. As long as you follow your aftercare instructions you really should have no issues. I hope this helps. 

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

You are fine!

48 hours after your procedure, it is safe to GENTLY RINSE your hair. As long as you gently rinse with warm water, you will not dislodge any grafts. Hope all turns out well!

Michael S. Beckenstein, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Washing your hair after NeoGraft

It is very important to gently and thoroughly wash your hair following your hair, after your initial post-treatment appointment of course.  Simply take a cup of warm (not hot!!) water and gently pour it over your head.  Than, mix warm water and some baby shampoo in the cup, pour this mixture over your head, and gently rinse your hair with several cup-fulls of warm water, until the water rinses clear of bubbles.  

Washing your Hair

You are correct in being concerned about the way you wash your hair. It is very important to wash your hair softly, gently and carefully during the initial moments in your post-op care. Please follow your surgeon's recovery guidelines diligently so as to ensure you receive the best results possible.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post op car after hair transplant

For post op care,  make sure you follow your doctors advise, you can start to cleanse we
with shampoo and pad very gently after two days. To pour more water gently to clean off the shampoo is alright. 

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

Washing after Neograft?

For my Neograft patients I have them no nothing for 48 hours then pour baby shampoo mixed with water over their hair for 10 days.  You should be fine pouring the water gently over the shampooed area as many times as needed to remove the shampoo as long as there is no pressure nozzle washing and you are not rubbing/massaging the area.

Shayne Webb, MD

Washing Your Hair

It is best to gently wash your hair and if needed gently pat with finger tips (not rub) graft areas to help lift excess shampoo. We use the technique of patting shampoo and pouring water over your head compared to rubbing in shampoo and using a shower head as the pressure of both may dislodge grafts. 

Washing after NeoGraft

Using a basin of water mixed with baby shampoo can be started safely two days after hair transportation. As a rule of thumb you should rinse with water only, gently pouring over the head and repeat this three times.  Always let the scalp air dry..  Best wishes.  

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

I hope you are not still in the bath trying to figure out what to do.

I hope you are not still in the bath trying to figure out what to do.  Just give your doctor a call or a simple email.  At worst you may dislodge a few grafts.  In general, washing your hair does not dislodge grafts.  It actually keeps your scalp clean (better for your grafts).

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Washing Hair after NeoGraft

Can I wash my hair after the procedure? Am I going to damage the grafts?
These are some of the most frequently asked questions I get from my NeoGraft patients. One of the most important things I emphasize to all my patients is that they HAVE TO wash their hair including after the procedure, including the newly grafted area. Most people are afraid of doing this, but NOT doing it, could cause problems as new scabs (dry blood) form over the newly grafted follicles. The grafts could then be damaged when trying to remove the scabs. In order to prevent this, I recommend gentle washes starting 24hrs after the procedure. Patients are encouraged to use baby shampoo in a cup with water and gently rinse the scalp. The follicles will not be damaged this way. You should avoid any medicated shampoo or any direct pressured wash on the scalp for 4 weeks post-op.  Hope this was helpful. Good luck in your recovery!