I'm 1 week post neograft FUE hair transplant, 1500 grafts. Is it safe to drink alcohol and go to the beach?

On Thurs (8/27) I had a neograft FUE hair transplant done. 1500 grafts. I went back to my doctor today (6 days after surgery) and he said I was healing very nicely. He said I could resume working out at the gym if I wanted. I also asked him about Labor Day Weekend b/c I'm going with some friends to the beach. He said I can go on the beach as long as I don't submerge my head in water and I wear a hat. He also gave me the "go ahead" to drink alcohol this weekend. (I drink responsibly.) Thoughts?

Wear a hat

I would agree with yI would agree with your Doctor, as long as you really pay attention to the part where you MUST wear a hat and not submerge your head in water. As long as you are cautious and protect that transplant area as much as possible, I don't see any reason why you cant go out and have a good time at the beach. I hope this helps.

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Going to the beach...

The advice and instructions given to you by your doctor seem quite reasonable.  It's very important to protect your scalp from potential sun burn this soon after the procedure, and always.  You don't want to damage the area that is still healing because it can quite easily effect the hair growth later on.  After taking the time and money to have the procedure, it's not worth risking your results now or developing skin cancer from a burn that will result in surgery and a scar.  Have fun! No sun!

Grant Stevens, MD

Activities following NeoGraft

I always defer to the "better safe than sorry" philosophy.  I would avoid any activities that would cause excessive sweating, sun exposure, or potential injury to the implantation sites, for about a month.  If you plan on being in the sun, you most certainly want to wear a hat to protect the follicular units that have just been implanted, however, it is advisable to wear a heat with a tall brim so that there isn't any unnecessary pressure on the implantation sites.  Further more, SPF of at least 25 should be worn to protect your skin.  As it is advisable to avoid any medicated topicals for those first 4 weeks, it would be advisable to avoid the beach or any significant sun exposure for at least a month.  Remember, you just made a significant investment in your personal appearance, and you.  Protect your investment for the best results. 

Beach

There should be no problem in submerging your head  a month after surgery. The follicles are integrated into your scalp. I would suggest avoiding sun on the new grafts. It could damage them.

Jack Fisher, MD

Patience & Care

I would heed to your board certified plastic surgeon's comments as the board certified credential ensures you receive the highest quality care, treatment, knowledge and experience available.

Submerging your head should be fine 3-4 weeks after surgery. Please drink responsible and remember that sun damage on your head - or anywhere for that matter - is not conducive to healing nor to healthy skin. Best of luck in your recovery.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Beach

Every doctor has their own post procedure protocol.  3-4 weeks is a safe time to submerge your head.  By then the follicles should be well integrated into the scalp.

Tim Neavin, MD

Neo Graft post Op

Drinking responsibly after neo graft is fine.  I tell patients to maintain a social nature to alcohol and try to not have more than one drink per hour.  As far as the beach, you should be fine, but try to keep the sun off of the new grafts.  They are delicate, and the sun can damage the follicles this early in your regime.  

Jesse E. Smith, MD, FACS
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Alcohol and the beach after Neograft

Thank you for your question. I recommend discussing post-operative instructions with you surgeon. In my practice, we allow our patients to drink alcohol 48 hours after the procedure, as long as they are not on pain medication. We do not let our patients submerge their head in water until 2 weeks following the procedure and sun protection is a must. 

Dennis Hurwitz, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Doctors will all have different answers

Thanks for your question! All surgeons will have their own opinion. In our office we have clients avoid alcohol for 48 hours after Neograft. As far as the beach - we don't have our clients submerge under water for 2 weeks. They do rinse the area after 48 hours, but only using cup rinse method. I would certainly avoid getting a sun burn on your scalp as this would increase swelling. Have fun and be well, Dr. M

Jared Mallalieu, DO
Annapolis General Surgeon

Drinking alcohol after one week?

If you are not taking any medications such as Norco and your doctor clears you then it is alright to go to the beach and drink.

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon