How to keep sinuses moist after septoplasty/turbinate reduction?

I recentlty had a Septoplasty/turbinate reduction.The surgeon also told my wife some bone needed to be chiseled out.Splints are out and I'm constantly irragating with saline spray. I use a CPAP machine with a full face mask. Since having the procedure no matter how high I set the humidifier on my CPAP or how much saline I use before bedtime I'm waking up several times with my sinuses so dry they hurt.Any suggestions?

Greetings

Thank you your question, Using a CPAP machine makes this much worse. The good news, however, is that the dryness should improve after 2-4 weeks. 

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Dry nose after septoplasty

Unfortunately, your complaint is extremely common.  After this type of surgery the normal function of the nose to humidity the air you breathe is hindered.  Using a CPAP machine makes this much worse. The good news, however, is that the dryness should improve after 2-4 weeks. 

Using the humidifier on your CPAP machine is a great idea along with the salt water sprays. You can try applying Vaseline to your inner nostrils before bed as well. 

Keep your scheduled postop appointments to ensure you're healing well, but I would expect things to improve in the near future. Good luck! 

Justin Cohen, MD
Washington DC Otolaryngologist