Large portion of very back top left molar is missing and black. Would it be fixable with a crown of some sort?

A good quarter of my tooth is gone, and it has black I can see around the gumline. There's no pain when I touch it with my tongue, but it's uncomfortable if air gets to it. Would a tooth in this condition be treatable by a filling or crown of some sort, or will it require removal? If it does need removing, would anesthetic be used to put me under, or will I be conscious?

Doctor Answers 4

Broken Tooth

If your tooth is broken, it is important that you see your dentist right away.  Most likely, you will be able to have a restoration placed to fix the broken tooth.  It is important that your dentist examines this tooth and gives you your options for the best possible treatment.  Get this taken care of right away because at this point you are running the risk of further fracturing your tooth, or nerve involvement.

Newport Beach Dentist
5.0 out of 5 stars 9 reviews

Broken Tooth

As others have mentioned, you need to see a dentist as soon as possible. You may just need a new filling and perhaps a crown. Depending upon how far the broken edge of the tooth goes, you should also consider seeing a periodontist for a crown lengthening procedure. This will allow the dentist to have more visible tooth structure for a better crown and a better margin. 

E. Drew Moore, DDS, MS
Lewisville Periodontist


Hi, thanks for sending your question. Its important for your tooth to be examined by a dentist in order to determine the best treatment possible. At this point the chance of further fracture and involvement with the nerve is possible, therefore it would be in your best interest to take care of this tooth as soon as possible. all the best,

Navid Zamani, DMD
Los Angeles Dentist
5.0 out of 5 stars 4 reviews

Broken Tooth

Of course, without seeing an x-ray I can't truly give you a definite opinion. However, typically what you're seeing is black that is from a silver filling that's in the tooth and decay that also may exist. Teeth that fracture often do so the way you describe and most times can have a crown placed to restore it. If it does need to be extracted, you could have it done under local anesthetic without needing to be sedated. If that's the case, you should have it removed by an Oral Surgeon.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.