Is dermapen better than nd yag laser for acne scar on Indian skin? (photos)

I've mild scars on one side and few deeper on the other, I've done one chemical peel and dermaroller session. Now I'm confused about dermapen and nd yag laser. Plz suggest for me.

Comparing Microneedling To. Lasers For Acne Scar Treatment

Frankly, your question couldn't be more timely.

The key findings reported just this very month (Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2016 April 3,4)  from a rigorous, meta-analysis review of the medical literature on acne scar treatments were summarized as follows: "There is lack of high-quality evidence regarding the effects of various interventions for the treatment of acne scars; studies were underpowered, had poor methodology, lacked standardized improvement assessments,and used differing baseline variables." In one study reviewed, "fractional laser showed comparable scar improvement to fractional radiofrequency...and was comparable to combined chemical peeling with skin needling in a different study..."

Since the jury is clearly not in on the value of these treatments, it would seem to be prudent to stick with less expensive modalities, such as medical microneedling for tone and texture problems and subcision (for atrophic, indented, depressed) acne scars.

Additionally, lasers pose a particular risk of causing postinflammatory hyperpigmentation and permanent hypopigmentation (loss of pigment) in people of color, which medical microneedling, either with Dermapen or manual rollers (e.g Dermaroller) does not.

Best of luck to you.

Acne scars in type 5 skin

I have seen some mild improvements in acne scars with microneedling. I think that Infini is much better for scars. Lasers on darker skin types have higher risks of complications, mainly hyperpigmentation. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Indian Skin and Acne Scars

Both Eclipse Micropen and eMatrix work very well on scars.  eMatrix is the best laser that I have used for your type of skin for acne scars.  It will take several treatments to improve these acne scars.  Microneedling works best with PRP.  Please consult an expert for the best results.  Best, Dr. Green

Acne scars

The dermapen is very safe on darker skin. The downside to it is that it typically takes more treatments to receive the same sort of benefit as with a laser. The Nd:yag laser is also safe on darker skin but has more possible side effects such as lightening of the skin color or burns. It is a better laser for getting rid of pigment issues but not as good for generating collagen to build up acne scars.

Aric K. Park, MD

Lasers vs micro-needling? ENGLEWOOD Cliffs NJ

In my opinion, ablative and non ablative lasers and aggressive micro-needling done at multiple sessions are both effective for acne scars. It appears that some of your acne scars are depressed and for this I would recommend subcision combined with radiofrequency micro-needling. A recent article in a Dermatology Journal revealed the equality of the two treatments. However it was noted that in dark skin, the adverse side effects were less with micro-needling. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Jeffrey Rapaport, MD
Englewood Dermatologic Surgeon