Are my incicisons too high? (Photo)

I had the eyelid surgery on Feb 10th and the stitches removed Feb 18th. I am so very worried that the incisions are too high. My PS told me that was the only way to move the excess pocket of skin I had. I am so NOT happy. What do you think? What can I do now?

Incisions a bit high, but likely will be ok.

As other doctors have said above, the final closure should be at 8-10mm above the lid margin in the midline, and follow the natural lid crease toward the middle and outer aspects of the lid.  These are a bit high and are visible with your eyes open, however as has been said, it’s early and there is still swelling.

The good news is you have a fair complexion, and the skin edges appear to be closed well, and most likely these scars will heal and be imperceptible or barely noticeable.  The healing will occur with time and it may take 6-12 months to heal completely.  After a few months, if visible, you could have various laser treatments such as fractional CO2 or fractional 1540 or Focused Lens Picosure.

Michael S. Schwartz, M.D.
Pasadena, CA.

Way Too High

Thank you for your pictures.  Your incisions are not in the appropriate place.  They are basically beneath the brow and this is not where the incisions are located to address the issues and produce a cosmetic result.

Dr.ES

Your blepharoplasty incisons look a little high.

You usually want a crease in the 8-10mm above the lashes.  This often corresponds to the natura crease.  When it is made at this height, it should not be visible when your eyes are open.  Your incision is visible. We also try to leave at least 10mm between the lid crease and the brow hair, and you appear to have less than that.  Most eyelid incisions heal well, so it may be less apparent with time.   

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eye lid incision location

On most  females the incision is in the natural crease or about 10mm up from eyelid margin. If no crease is there then making one with sutures to the levator at the 10mm level is performed with a few sutures. We do not have the before pictures to look at. It does appear your incision is above the 10mm mark that I use for my upper blepharoplasty procedures.

Gregory T. Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid Incision

Based on the limited pictures the incision is greater than one centimeter from the lid margin however in 6 months to one year you may hardly notice the scar.

Best wishes

George C. Peck, Jr, MD
West Orange Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid incisions too high?

Your incisions do appear to be high, but there is still swelling present.  I would recommend you give a little time for things to heal further.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty : Incisions too high?

It's too early to make a final opinion on this point. It does appear that they may be too high, but it's too early.

Blepharoplasty incisions tend to heal fantastically well. This means they fade and are extremely difficult to see. Even if placed poorly, they tend to fade and be totally inconspicuous.

In the worst case scenario, if it looks this way after healing has finished, revision could be done. The small amount of skin above the crease and below the incision could be snipped out. This would probably do the trick. It would most likely be easy and successful.

I realize it's frustrating, but give it time.

I expect it will all heal well.

Good Luck!

Dr Chris Saunders

Christopher Saunders, MD
Wilmington Plastic Surgeon

Scars with eyelid surgery

Hi. Scars are always very obvious for the first 6-8 weeks - they will fade a lot in the next few months. Most upper eyelid scars you have to look hard to see by 6 months postoperatively - it is unusual to have to do other treatments for scars on the upper eyelid. At this stage in a week or so start massaging the scars and use makeup to conceal them. Try to be patient at this stage and wait until all the postoperative changes have finished before assessing things. Discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon.

Charles Cope, MD
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Are my incicisons too high?

Guess what in time the incisions will fade away so whether too high or not there is NO permanent squelae...// 

The appearance of your upper eye lid incisions may improve with time.

Your photos are limited for evaluation, and a definitive answer to your question can not be provided without an examination.

Your red, partially visible incisions will lighten and become less evident with time. You may have a degree of ptosis (eyelid droopiness) that may be due to swelling, or may have been present preoperatively.

You should discuss your concerns with your surgeon or consider getting a second opinion. Worrying is never helpful.

Hope this helps you.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon