Otoplasty Suture Complications

had otoplasty 8 years ago. For a few years behind my ear has been red and swollen and bleeds when touched too hard. There is also drainage. I've been too scared to see the doctor for these years but finally went. He found & removed a suture today, but he didn't know if this was the one causing the problem. If it is the one, how long will it take for my ear to be healed? Also, could this have any long-term negative effects on me? I am very nervous.

Otoplasty Complications

The skin on the back of your ear was being irritated from the undersurface by one or more of the permanent sutures used during otoplasty.  Unfortunately, we all see this occasionally in our patients.  Removing it was the only thing to do.  Time will tell whether or not other sutures are involved.  The good news for you is that after 8 years, your ear cartilage no longer depends on the sutures to maintain its shape and structure.

Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Removal of suture after otoplasty

It is unlikely that removal of the suture will have any ill effect, especially since it has been 8 years since your original surgery.  The only possible risk is that the ear sticks out a little.  Removing the suture will more likely improve all your symptoms.  If it was the correct stitch, your ear should be healed in a couple of weeks.

Leif L. Rogers, MD, FACS

Suture Extrusion From An Otoplasty Is A Potential Lifelong Possibility

The only long-term complication that can occur from an otoplasty is the one you have experienced....suture extrusion. Because permanent sutures are used to hold the new cartilage shape as it heals, and the thin skin and tissue on the back of the ear, it is always possible that the knots of one of the sutures may eventually work its way through the skin. This can occur years to decades later. Several years ago, I removed an extruding suture from a 68 year old lady that had an otoplasty in 1968! How that presents is exactly what you have experienced....soreness and then drainage from a spot on the eare. While annoying it is not a major problem and removed the knot or suture is the solution to this minor long-term postoperative problem. Whether you will have more or not is unknown but it is always possible.

Infection & Complication Associated with Sutures Following Otoplasty

Complications associated with the use of permanent sutures during setback otoplasty are fortunately rare.  The vast majority of these complications occur early in the post-operative course, but rarely they may occur in the late post-operative period.

When infection is associated with deep buried sutures, the process typically starts with a suture eroding through the over lying skin.  This opening represents a portal for bacteria, which then sets up and grows around the suture. It’s not unusual to have redness, inflammation and purulent drainage in the area.

When this situation arises, it’s impossible to eradicate the infection without removing the infected suture.  Although topical anesthesia may be used, most people don’t require anesthesia.  Once the suture is removed the patient is usually given a short course of antibiotics.

The vast majority of patients do well when infected sutures are removed. Rarely infection recurs because adjacent sutures also become infected.  When patients develop this type of complication in the late post-operative period, suture removal doesn’t impact the ear contour because healing has already taken place.

It’s important that you contact your surgeon immediately.  Ear infections should be treated early and aggressively before infection can spread to the cartilage.

Otoplasty sutures

The permanent sutures use in otoplasty can occasionally work their way out.  It should have been pretty obvious to the doctor which was the involved suture and removing the correct one should result in healing in around 2 weeks or so.

You should be fine....

As some of the other posters pointed out, suture extrusion is really the only long term complication. After the infected suture is removed the ear should be fine. 

Ivan Wayne, MD
Oklahoma City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Spitting sutures after otoplasty

Otoplasty involves the placement of sutures to pin back an overprojected ear.  These sutures are typically the nonabsorbable permanent type.  Usually these sutures are encapsulated in scar if placed correctly.  However, it is well known that they may work themselves out and potentially become infected.  Fortunately, I have not had this occur in my own patients, but have seen it happen from other patients anywhere from 6 months to 10 years after their surgery.  If the infected suture was effectively removed, then no further action is needed.  If the suture was present in your ear for at least several months before being removed, then it is unlikely that your ear will snap back to it pre-surgical position.  Hope this helps!

Thomas T. Le, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ear suture infection

I have seen infected sutures from otoplasty that required removal.  Usually it is sooner than 8 years post op.  Probably the suture erroded through the skin and became infected.  That does not mean that other sutures will do the same.   If the offending suture was removed, it should heal quickly.   Also there  should be enough scar tissue to prevent relapse at this time.  Donald R. Nunn Plastic Surgeon

Donald Nunn, MD

Otoplasty Suture Complication

What you described is not uncommon.  We generally use 3-5 permanent sutures during an otoplasty to bend the cartilage.  When one suture extrudes, we remove the offending suture.  The others should be left unless they are causing a problem.  Once the irritating suture has been removed, the skin should heal quickly. Avoid traumatizing the area and keep it clean.

Nia Banks, MD, PhD
Washington Plastic Surgeon