Why are mommy makeovers outpatient? It seems like pretty big procedures.

I am concerned, I will be having a mastopexy with aug, full tummy tuck and lipo to my stomach, flanks and Submental. Some Dr.s have the patients stay in outpatient facility over night. I'm scared to have these procedures and be sent on my own ( with my very supporting husband). I don't have a selected Surgeon yet and would like to know how important it is to go to one that will keep me over night after the procedures. Thank you before hand.

Mommy Makeover Not Always Outpatient

This is an excellent question, and kudos to you for being proactive about your health. Indeed, most mommy makeovers are relatively major procedures in terms of length. Whether or not it's performed as an outpatient procedure depends on a few different factors, including your overall health, the significance of your surgery, and your doctor's own preference. An overnight stay in a hospital or specialized surgical center can be beneficial for some patients. Others, however, may return home to rest just a few hours after surgery. Most surgeons approach aftercare on a case-by-case basis rather than making claims that mommy makeover is always an outpatient or inpatient procedure. The techniques we use for mommy makeovers are extraordinarily safe and reliable, so although it is a "major" procedure in the sense that in involves more than one area of the body, it's not typically medically complex. As you consult with plastic surgeons while you plan for surgery, be sure to ask about their individual approaches for recuperation.

Mommy Makeover

It is my pleasure to answer your question. I recommend patients to stay overnight after having that kind of procedures. 

Aramis Vega, MD

Mommy Makeover as Outpatient

Even though a mommy makeover can be a somewhat long procedure, it usually doesn't result in much shifting of fluids into and out of the vascular (blood vessel) system, so the anesthesiologist doesn't need to give the patient too much fluid via the IV. That means that this surgery is much less stressful for the body (heart, lungs, etc.) than a surgery that involves entering the abdominal cavity (like intestinal surgery). As others have mentioned, the biggest risk is deep vein thrombosis ( blood clots in the legs). There are several things that can be done to decrease the likelihood of this problem, including frequent walking after surgery. Almost all of my patients go home after mommy makeovers. There are options for overnight stays or home nursing care, but patients with attentive family care at home don't necessarily need those options. I call my patients at home and stay in close communication. Ultimately, you need to do what makes you most comfortable, and what your surgeon of choice recommends. If you'd feel better having a nurse or staying overnight at a care facility, that can be arranged.

Andres Taleisnik, MD

23 hour stay after a "mommy makeover"

Most "mommy makeovers" are fairly large surgeries, and I usually keep them over night for a 23 hour stay at my facility. It is not absolutely necessary, but it makes the initial postoperative discomfort, nausea, etc less and the overall experience better. 

Paul E. Chasan, MD
Del Mar Plastic Surgeon

I require my patients to stay in the extended stay ( 23 hour) following Mommy Makeover surgery.  These are big procedures, and I am not comfortable sending patients home right out of surgery. The stay adds more money to your outpatient fee, but this is money well spent.  This helps reduce the risk of complications.  Consult with board certified plastic surgeons who are highly experienced to discuss your options.  

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Mommy Makeovers and Overnight Stay

Actually, in my practice, mommy makeover surgery is not an outpatient procedure. I require my patients to stay overnight at the surgical center at which the mommy makeover was performed, so as to keep a close eye on the early stages of recovery and to provide maximum comfort directly following surgery. In fact, I have found that the majority of surgeons prefer to have the patient stay at least one night and that this guideline can truly reduce the risk of complication. Still, the surgery is personalized on an individual basis and may be possible that your surgeon is not stressing an overnight stay for your mommy makeover because your treatment is relatively less intensive. However, if you feel more comfortable moving forward with a surgeon who does stress this overnight stay, I recommend consulting with another surgeon in your area to get a second opinion. 

Miguel Delgado, MD

Mommy Makeover

Mommy Makeover surgery patients are more comfortable staying overnight with consistent observation and care by registered nurses with their plastic surgeon visiting them in the morning and releasing them from the surgery center,

You are correct that a mommy makeover is a significant surgery. It is critical to find a very experienced plastic surgeon for this very important surgery.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Outpatient mommy make-overs

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.

• Mommy make-overs are often out-patient because patients want to save the over-night fee.
  • And because moving after surgery is a good way to reduce the risk of blood clots forming in the legs.
  • But you are having a lot of surgery.
  • I offer my patients the option of an overnight stay - I don't require it.
  • But at least have the surgery at a place where you can spend the night if you wish to do so.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Hope you found this answer helpful. Best wishes.

Not all mommy makeovers are outpatient.

I prefer to keep most of my mommy makeover patients overnight for observation. This is not a requirement but certainly not every mommy makeover patient is discharged after the operation.

Combining cosmetic plastic surgery procedures is not uncommon. Whether you are a reasonable candidate for those procedures depends on your anatomy, your medical history, realistic expectations of the outcome and an understanding of the pros and cons of the various procedures.

Safety should always be the main concern. It is generally recommended that the length of elective surgery be less than six hours. The procedures should be performed in an ambulatory facility that is accredited by one of the national organizations like the American Association for Accreditation of Ambulatory Surgical Facilities (AAAASF) or in a licensed hospital. I, as well as many plastic surgeons, would recommend an overnight stay at an appropriate facility where you can be appropriately monitored. Most patients prefer undergoing one anesthesia and one recovery period which is usually more cost effective.

Keep in mind that following the advice of any surgeon on this or any other web site who proposes to tell you what to do without: examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, and taking a full medical history, as well as discussing the pros and cons of each operative option would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon certified by The American Board of
Plastic Surgery who is ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with, and discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person. That way, you can have a better idea what is safe and makes the most sense for you.

Before proceeding with a combination of these procedures, you should have medical clearance from your primary care physician and a discussion between him or her and your plastic surgeon.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon