Rhinoplasty in private clinic vs. Hospital?

What is the major difference? What factors should I consider and what questions should I ask my surgeon to make sure I choose the right option for myself? Thank you in advance!

Rhinoplasty Surgery in Outpatient Accredited Facility

Dear Sudette, Most surgeons prefer to perform rhinoplasty in a private outpatient fully accredited surgical facility. Personally, I have my own accredited operating facility that is connected to my office allowing me to use my same staff, nurses, surgical technician and anesthesiologist every day. This allows the surgeon to keep the prices reduced and scheduling very convenient. One of the other factors that I appreciate is that I have never had an infection in my operating facility and hospital operating facilities are known to have the risk of infection increased. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Rhinoplasty operating room

In most cases, you will save a.considerable amount of money having the surgery done in the surgeon's surgicenter.  Just make sure the facility is certified and that there will be a board certified anesthesiologist in attendance.  Also, of course, choose your surgeon carefully as that is the most important decision you can make.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Hospital or private surgical center

The most  helpful discussion will occur with your surgeon. I would be in touch with them regarding your choices and their recommendations.

It may be helpful for you to know that there is an accreditation process for every surgical center. Knowing this as a patient may help you feel more confident about all of your different options.

Personally, I operate in a number of different settings. However, they are all truly exceptional and each offers different benefits. This is something that your surgeon would enjoy discussing with you.

Dr. Hobgood

Todd Christopher Hobgood, MD
Phoenix Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty in private clinic vs. hospital

The published scientific data from the American Association for Accreditation of Ambulatory Surgical Facilities (AAAASF) shows that surgery in an accredited office-based surgical facility in the appropriately selected patient with a fully trained anesthesia provider is safe. Complications, while unlikely, can occur in any surgical setting, including a hospital. Whether you are a reasonable candidate for a rhinoplasty in an office-based surgical facility depends on your anatomy, your medical history, realistic expectations of the outcome and an understanding of the pros and cons of the procedure.

Safety should always be the main concern. The procedures should be performed in an ambulatory facility that is accredited by one of the national organizations like the American Association for Accreditation of Ambulatory Surgical Facilities (AAAASF) or in a licensed hospital. The plastic surgeon performing the procedure should have hospital privileges to perform the same type of procedure that will be performed in the private office-based facility.

Keep in mind that following the advice of any surgeon on this or any other web site who proposes to tell you what to do without: examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, and taking a full medical history, as well as discussing the pros and cons of each operative option would not be in your best interest. I would suggest your plastic surgeon be certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with, and discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person. That way, you can have a better idea what is safe and makes the most sense for you.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty in private surgery center versus a hospital

In the United States, almost all rhinoplasties are performed in an outpatient surgical setting usually at a freestanding facility or in the physician's office ASC. Most patients simply cannot afford a cosmetic rhinoplasty at a local hospital due to the extensive fees for a hospital operating room. It's also much more time efficient to have the procedure performed in an outpatient ambulatory surgery Center. It's important to have the procedure done where your surgeon frequently performs his/her procedures with their own set of instruments and scrub nurse

WHO is doing your surgery is more CRITICAL than where!!

Choose a surgeon who has exemplary training and vast experience in RHINOPLASTY  surgery.  In Canada, (certainly in British Columbia) it is government policy that any surgeon performing any surgical procedure of any type in a private facility must also have privileges to do the same surgical procedure at an accredited regional hospital.  Indeed all of the private surgical facilities are accredited by the College of Physicians and the provincial medical licensing authority, so choosing between the two may really come down to cost and not necessarily which is BETTER.  Normally the private facilities may be less expensive than the regional hospital-so a large majority of esthetic surgeries are now done in private facilities.  Dr. Richard Fleming of Beverley Hills, who is a brilliant, gifted  surgeon -  hit the nail on the head when he said pick the surgeon and not the location-absolutely great advice !!!

Ritchie Younger, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facility

Thank you for your question and I agree totally with Dr Fleming.  Find an expert in your area with privileges in both locations

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

In general a rhinoplasty is an outpatient procedure so the location should not matter. What is more importnt is who is your PS and do you have trust in him/her to deliver the results that you are looking for? Seek a plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of these procedures, has great reviews, and is an expert in this field.

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills General Surgeon

Rhinoplasty in Hospital or Private Clinic

Pick the surgeon, not the location. An experienced board certified rhinoplasty specialist probably has privileges in the hospital and a free standing facility or his own private accredited clinic. Typically the private facilities are more efficient and less expensive. Be careful that the out of hospital facility is accredited as required by California law.

Where should I have my rhinoplasty done?

Hi Sudette, properly certified ambulatory surgery centers are typically much more efficient and streamlined when it comes to cosmetic surgery procedures. I would ask your surgeon how many rhinoplasty procedures he or she performs every year. I would also look at before and after pictures and read online reviews. Finally, I would make sure you have a good chemistry with the surgeon.

Todd C. Miller, MD
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon