Bloating in face after filler distortion. Any suggestions?

Hi Doctors! I had 1 mL of Voluma 2 weeks ago and 0.5 mL of Volbella injected into tear troughs 2 days ago and upon waking up, my face is very bloated. What I am concerned about is that it seems as though my nasolabial folds have increased. Can swelling from filler this early distort the look of the nasolabial folds? I had no filler in my nasolabial folds, but still have some swelling under my eyes.

Post op swelling

It is totally common to have swelling after any kind of filler and swelling in one area can certainly distort the look of another area. This should subside in the next few weeks. If it does not or if it gets worse then contact your surgeon.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Bloating in face after filler distortion. Any suggestions? =follow up with the injector of your fillers #voluma #swelling

Swelling after soft tissue fillers injection of the face is a common phenomena that usually resolves within few days.

Sleeping in a horizontal position ( without the head of bed elevated with several pillows) makes the swelling worst, specially in the morning after waking up.

Patients with significant swelling after soft tissue filler injections (eg. voluma) should follow up with the injector that performed the procedures to determine best next step of treatment.

John Mesa, MD

Filler Swelling on Cheeks / Eyes

swelling is normal for a few weeks, if you are concerned after that time please speak to your physician and consider reversing the filler if you unhappy.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Bloating in face after fillers

Thank you for your question.  Swelling with some bruising can be expected after fillers and this can distort some of your other facial lines.  I would wait two weeks to see if the swelling resolves and follow up with your physician thereafter.  Sometimes swelling can get worse before it gets better, but around this time it should start to turn the corner and slowly improve.  If you are severely swollen, I recommend returning to your treating physician sooner to for assessment as they may be able to give you something to help treat the swelling.  I hope this helps!

Natalie Attenello, MD

Juvederm Voluma and Volbella injections NYC

Both of these products are amazing for facial injections.  However, I would definitely return to your treating physician if after two weeks there is still swelling remaining.  It would be important to see photos to determine if it is from product placement or from swelling alone.  Best, Dr. Green