Is my square, wide jaw caused by the muscle or bone? (Photo)

I have had a very square and wide jaw since childhood. I received 50 units of Botox per side last year but the results only brought the width down a little and it was back to the same size in six months. I have consulted two doctors and one said the width was caused by the masseter and the other said bone. Which do you think it is and how can I slim down my face to a more oval shape permaneantly? Thank you!

Is my square, wide jaw caused by the muscle or bone? = Very likely because both #fb #widejaw #masseter #botox #drmesa

Wide and/or square jaws in female patients are very likely secondary to the anatomy of the jaw bone and size of one of the jaw muscles that that participates in chewing ( master muscle)

Wide jaw in females can be temporarily 'reduced' in size by 'shrinking" the masseter muscle with Botox. Since this treatment only last or about 3 to 4 months, recurrent treatment with Botox is necessary to maintain the results.

Jaw surgery ( removal of a portion of the jaw bone that makes it square) could slim down the lower face permanently. This is a surgery very common among asian patients in asian countries. In America, this procedure is not common since a wide/square jaw is usually desired since it is a feature associated with top models (e.g. Cyndy Crawford) or celebrities ( e.g Angelina Jolie. Penelope Cruz). Jaw reduction surgery is invasive and requires surgical downtime.

Patients interested in a jaw reshaping  should make a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and or Craniofacial specialized surgery of the face/jaw

John Mesa MD

Board Certified Plastic Surgeon & Craniofacial Surgeon

New York City (#NYC) & New Jersey (#NJ)