What is the best way to remove the "goop" from your hair after facelift?

"Goop" in Hair After Facelift

Thank you Dr. Chung for your answer. I also wash my patient's hair after surgery. I want my patients to be comfortable, and I want to be sure patients are careful around incisions.

After the time and care my surgical team and I spend on making the results as perfect for the patient as they can be  think they deserve everything possible to make them feel their best after surgery. Selfishly, I want to be sure no one is careless around the incisions.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Cleaning hair after facelift surgery

We allow our patients to begin washing their hair two days after surgery. We encourage it. Allow the water to run through your hair for a few minutes. Do not scrub or rub, just let the water pressure do the work.  A mild shampoo like baby shampoo is suggested. Again, do not rub it in. Just pat it in as to not disturb your incisions. It will take a few showers but everything will get cleaned up. 

Be sure to follow YOUR surgeons instructions as each surgeon uses different methods based in their techniques and experience. 

Jacob D. Steiger, MD
Boca Raton Facial Plastic Surgeon

Removing surgical goop from hair

Speak with your surgeon, but I generally allow my facelift patients to take a shower the day after surgery. A quick round of gentle shampoo should remove any surgical goop from your hair. 

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Facelift #faceliftrecovery #fatgrafting #beauty #tmbcosmeticsurgery #woundhealing

Dear Blubird41

Thank you for your question!  A nice shower with shampoo!  Enjoy!

Trevor M Born MD

Trevor M. Born, MD

Facelift Hair Washing

Generally I let a patient shower the day after surgery and all the product and dried blood from surgery is easily washed out.  I wash the hair after a facelift but I will be the first to tell you the hair style left behind isn't the best!  A shower with gentle hair products does the trick but check with your surgeon.  

Face lift - removing hair goop

Thank you for asking about your face lift.

• A great question - it depends on what the 'goop' is.
  • It may be a water soluble cream used to keep your hair away from the surgery.
  • Or it may be blood or just matted hair.
  • First, be sure your surgeon approves your washing your hair.
  • Second, no shampoo until 24 hours after the drains, if any are removed.
  • Then with warm water, first rinse your hair thoroughly, gently massage in your usual shampoo, rinse and check for any matting from dried blood or ointment.
  • If there is still ointment, wash with additional shampoo. 
  • If there is dried blood, massage peroxide into the area. It will bubble and shower water will wash it away.
  • Then plenty of condition so it's easy to comb and a warm blow dry.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Washing hair after facelift

Be sure your doctor knows you are planning to wash your hair. Generally, showering and gently washing the hair is okay 48 hours after your surgery. 

I like baby shampoo, as it is gentle and usually good at getting tangles and products out of the hair. Conditioner can also be used after to help with this. 

Dr. Blagg

Austin, TX

After facelift, you may have residual dried blood in your hair. I do wash my patient's hair in the operating room after the facelift surgery. After 48 hours, it is safe to get the hair wet. You'll have to be careful and not scrub any of the incisions. Peroxide can loosen dried blood. Conditioner can prevent stubborn tangles. I would ask your surgeon for the safest recommendation. Safety first. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Goop

The goop is probably KY or something like it.  We always wash the patients hair before the dressing is put on (sorry for self promoting).  Sticky substances often wash out a little better with some baby oil in your hair conditioner.  Try that, good luck. Jane

I am not certain what type of "goop" was used in your hair, but I recommend my patients use KY jelly to help remove any dried blood.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD